Thoughts 2nd gen "Dodge ram 3500"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Just picked up Fleet guard oil filters and a 5 gal. pail of Rotella 15w40......doing the oil change myself, but where to get rid of all this oil is another problem.
Also, just found out that there is no carter fuel pump in my truck, apparently, it was removed and replaced with a small fass electric pump.

OP
OP
scippy

scippy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 3500 dually
Engine
24v cummins
Did a little search around the area of the fuel filter housing and noticed there was no stock Carter fuel pump seems it was
replaced with a Fass DRP pump.....did some more research and found out the Fass pump requires a pre-filter.....(the little
plastic see thru kind with paper element that has to be unclamped at both ends every time you replace it a real hassle!
Was thinking about using a fleetguard fuel filter (ff104) screwed into a filter head?....just unscrew and be done with it!
just wondering if it would decrease pressure to the fass pump?

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
So basically, your saying if increased power is wanted a built transmission should also be included...makes sense!.....All these "Fass" , "air Dog" electric lift pumps are in the $600 - $700
and that's without optional sump which would seem to work better than a straw tube.....going to check out Glacier mechanical pump......what should be operating fuel pressure?
What about cold air induction?......is that over hyped?

I think low side should be no less than 45psi at full throttle. I agree, on these older diesels, mechanical is the way to go, there just isn't a lot to go wrong.

As far as air intake. Just make sure you have a clean filter in there of the proper size and type. A dirty/wrong air filter can cause more performance loss than a true ram air intake will create. A nice pleated cotton filter will work wonders for airflow, and the fender air intake is pretty good already. The only thing you could do to improve it aside from a filter would be putting a true ram air intake on, but if its below the bumper, you're going to suck dirt, and a hood option is a lot of work (can look awesome though).

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
Really depends on how the vehicle is driven and conditions it sees. Synthetics can have a noticeable benefit

On gasoline vehicles, yes absolutely. On the 2nd gen diesels, no. Been down the path with my 24v when I first got it. It helped nothing other than feed someone else.

I think low side should be no less than 45psi at full throttle. I agree, on these older diesels, mechanical is the way to go, there just isn't a lot to go wrong.

As far as air intake. Just make sure you have a clean filter in there of the proper size and type. A dirty/wrong air filter can cause more performance loss than a true ram air intake will create. A nice pleated cotton filter will work wonders for airflow, and the fender air intake is pretty good already. The only thing you could do to improve it aside from a filter would be putting a true ram air intake on, but if its below the bumper, you're going to suck dirt, and a hood option is a lot of work (can look awesome though).

Nothing more than 20psi is needed for a vp44 truck and can cause issues if it is higher. Had it been a 12v with a p1700 yes 45psi at wot is a good place to be.

Did a little search around the area of the fuel filter housing and noticed there was no stock Carter fuel pump seems it was
replaced with a Fass DRP pump.....did some more research and found out the Fass pump requires a pre-filter.....(the little
plastic see thru kind with paper element that has to be unclamped at both ends every time you replace it a real hassle!
Was thinking about using a fleetguard fuel filter (ff104) screwed into a filter head?....just unscrew and be done with it!
just wondering if it would decrease pressure to the fass pump?

The fass will have to pull harder with another prefilter. Remember there is a screen on the module in the tank.

Scrippy you can buy a cai but you will see nothing for gains. No lower egts, no mileage, no lower iat. It will be a conversation piece.

RamV10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V10
I bought mine off Autotraders.com. It was a private party sale. Since I don't tow that much (use to tow 5000 mile/year. So I wanted GAS. I found the V-10 I really like it & it is cheap to maintain. I bought it in 2011 with 72K from original owner.

Dave Mason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cumins 12 valve
Agree with jlbayes. Oversize wheels/tires have cancelled out your 410 gears. I went from 215/85/16’s to 235/85/16’s and found a big loss in towing power as well as a speedometer error.