Thoughts and questions on the ram JL, Kicker or other subs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kowbel11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would like to upgrade the Alpine sub just wondering what people think about either the JL Audio or Kicker upgrades? I feel like I might be disappointed with either of those coming from 2 Alpine type R 12's. If I go a custom route what is the best way to get signal to the amp? I have done installs before but never used a factory head unit but I would prefer to tap into the existing sub wiring if its possible and or just as good of a option as using the front/rear speakers. From what I have read I need a LOC or can I use something else?

damnimcooltom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I replaced the 8" sub in my Challenger with a JL Stealthbox, and used the wiring to that sub for the input to the amp, and it worked great. As far as the signal to power the amp, I tied into the fuse box to a cigar lighter circuit, since the stereo will be on if the car is running. I'm not sure how other people are doing it.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Do you plan to use the Alpine amp?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use the factory wiring going to the current Alpine sub, but you will not get a full sub bass signal. Since the factory sub is not all that great, they cut off some of the lowest frequencies. Another member here found that out after trying to use the signal straight from the factory amp.

He then installed the PAC Audio interface https://pac-audio.com/catalog/audio-interfacing/ap4-ch41 which gives you a nice, clean signal to feed an aftermarket amp. From there you can go as sane or as crazy with your system as you like. I'm running the PAC and feeding a pretty crazy stereo system. It works great.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Coming from 2 12's, it would be a mosquito bite of bass for you. I'd go custom enclosure with bigger subs. You'd have to run a LOC for the amp. Lots of people here have done it and could tell you how to do it.

2010 Infantry Vet

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed the mopar kicker speaker upgrades in my wrangler. They sounded like crap even amplified. Stay away feom kicker.
I just installed rockford T-2652-S 6.5" components in my ram. 75RMS amplified sound amazing! Crazy loud, and crystal clear. In my opinion sound better than JL audio C5 6.5" components.

IMG_1987.PNG

OP
OP
kowbel11

kowbel11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was always thinking the custom route might be best. I wont be using the alpine amp so what is the best way to get the signal to the amp LOC or PAC as mentioned?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was always thinking the custom route might be best. I wont be using the alpine amp so what is the best way to get the signal to the amp LOC or PAC as mentioned?

Lots of people (including me) have had a very hard time getting a useable signal using a normal LOC. The PAC makes it much easier to get a great signal out of the Alpine system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kowbel11

kowbel11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So The PAC is as easy as plug and play then just hook up the amp?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pretty much, I had a shop do mine so I don’t have any first hand knowledge. I’ve seen videos on YouTube about it though.

SSgtRoof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I used a LOC, and pulled signal from the front speakers. Read a lot of threads here, and else where, where using the rear as a signal created problems.As far as the Kicker comment, I have the CS series. 3 1/2 tweeters, 6 1/2 front, 3- way 6 x 9 rear. Running off the factory unit, with the 10 under the rear, it sounds great IMO!

Tweeters, regardless of brand, were probably the most noticeable difference. Did a buddy's truck (2014) with just the DS speakers (all 6), and a pioneer head unit, and sounded great. Not as much bass as I like from the sub.

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used a LOC, and pulled signal from the front speakers. Read a lot of threads here, and else where, where using the rear as a signal created problems.As far as the Kicker comment, I have the CS series. 3 1/2 tweeters, 6 1/2 front, 3- way 6 x 9 rear. Running off the factory unit, with the 10 under the rear, it sounds great IMO!

Tweeters, regardless of brand, were probably the most noticeable difference. Did a buddy's truck (2014) with just the DS speakers (all 6), and a pioneer head unit, and sounded great. Not as much bass as I like from the sub.

what colour are the front speaker wires coming off the stock deck wiring harness? I need to do this as well...anyhelp you could give would be great thanks!

SSgtRoof

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire(+): Gray/Violet
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire(-): Gray/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire(+): Dark Green/Violet
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Yellow

I took the power straight to the battery, and tied in to the aux port on the dash for remote. Did it under the kickpanels, not behind the head unit. Put the LOC and amp under the drivers seat. BEWARE: The seat bolt was cross threaded from the factory, and broke coming out. Dealer wanted 1 1/2 hours labor to replace. Cost $8 for the bolt, and with a torch for heat, and slip joints, took about 5 minutes to do myself

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire(+): Gray/Violet
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire(-): Gray/Yellow
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire(+): Dark Green/Violet
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Dark Green/Yellow

I took the power straight to the battery, and tied in to the aux port on the dash for remote. Did it under the kickpanels, not behind the head unit. Put the LOC and amp under the drivers seat. BEWARE: The seat bolt was cross threaded from the factory, and broke coming out. Dealer wanted 1 1/2 hours labor to replace. Cost $8 for the bolt, and with a torch for heat, and slip joints, took about 5 minutes to do myself

can you post a picture and show me exactly where you are talking about (kick panels) that you tapped into? That would help me greatly. If I can just tap into one fo the speak lines without having to take the head unit out that would make life so much easier and my install much much quicker. any help would be great thank you !!!!

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
I used the factory sub signal into an LC2i

I am happy with the result and the install was cake since I did not have to go behind the dash, just power from the battery

JinxCanada

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Ram Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I used the factory sub signal into an LC2i

I am happy with the result and the install was cake since I did not have to go behind the dash, just power from the battery

where did you tap your LC2i in? can you post a picture please?

Witch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 liter
Hard to see in pics, but just took the factory sub wires and ran them to the LC2i input.
It has remote turn on built in so you do not need and auxiliary wire from the dash.
Run the output RCA's to an amp , run the out put to the the sub and a power to the battery

Done

You have to p;lay with the settings on both units, but is amazing once you get it dialed in

upload_2018-1-31_11-12-28.png

upload_2018-1-31_11-12-45.png

upload_2018-1-31_11-13-4.png