Throttle Body Cleaning Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2010 5.7 and I used CRC Throttle Body cleaner on a microfiber cloth. I didn't spray directly into the throttle body instead I sprayed it onto the cloth and wiped everything down. I removed a lot of black crap. I put the intake tube back on, inserted the sensor into intake tube and started it up. Engine light is on now. I took it for a short spin and noticed now the MDS doesn't kick in.. What could I have possibly done incorrectly??
I hate the fact that I might have to take it in to the shop now.
I appreciate all input on this...

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Disconnect the battery for thirty minutes, unplug the sensor and plug it back in and then reconnect the battery.

I usually do both. Spray it in and wipe and I've never had an issue on any of my vehicles.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Agreed. Maybe even give it an hour or 2 to rest, then ensure when you plug the sensor in, you seat it well and get it to click.
Even if that didn't work I would drive it around for a couple days to see if multiple restarts reset the CEL. I wouldn't be overly concerned because you sprayed the cloth and not the sensor.

OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Disconnect the battery for thirty minutes, unplug the sensor and plug it back in and then reconnect the battery.

I usually do both. Spray it in and wipe and I've never had an issue on any of my vehicles.

I have tried and tried to loosen the negative battery cable but King Kong must have tightened it down at the factory. As I turn the nut the whole connector twists. Very frustrating.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Disconnect the positive then! Just be careful not to touch the negative terminal with the wrench or any metal part of the truck.

OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Disconnect the positive then! Just be careful not to touch the negative terminal with the wrench or any metal part of the truck.

OK... That one came off no problem. I guess I wait a 30 minutes or so and reconnect...? And hope for the best. I didn't unplug the sensor earlier... Just did (the one on the intake tube I presume?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

All good now. Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Alfonsio

Alfonsio

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^ Agreed. Maybe even give it an hour or 2 to rest, then ensure when you plug the sensor in, you seat it well and get it to click.
Even if that didn't work I would drive it around for a couple days to see if multiple restarts reset the CEL. I wouldn't be overly concerned because you sprayed the cloth and not the sensor.

All good now. Thanks for your input!!

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Yeah I forgot to mention disconnecting the battery first..Its just a habit for me anytime I do anything electrical on the truck. Glad its all good now! Your throttle body and intake will love you now lol

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn