Throttle Kickdown Rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tradered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hi, 1990 W150, 318, auto. issues: occasional slip when leaving stoplight, HARD shift into reverse.
findings: kick down rod (no TV cable) from carb to trans has a lot of movement at the trans end so I suspect improper lever movement there.
question, If I see it right it appears that the slotted connector from rod pivots to carb shaft is turned around backwards...should the slot in this connector be towards the firewall or the opposite direction?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
the throttle linkage should be through the slot and sit at the back of the slot. you adjust the kickdown linkage under the truck at the transmission. you loosen the bolt and put the rod forward until or backwards as needed to make it shift when or where you would like.

have you checked the transmission fluid level? make sure it is in neutral when checking the fluid level. if you are low on transmission fluid it can cause it to slip.

OP
OP
T

Tradered

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for reply. I changed fluid and adj. 1st and rev bands. Still drops hard into reverse...may get better as new fluid circulates thru trans valve bodies.