Throttle position sensor question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99_Ram_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
i have a 99 ram 2500 and had a live data reader hooked up and noticed when the throttle is closed is says my throttle position is 13%, and when i hold the pedal to the floor it only says 74.9%. so i made sure the throttle blades were closing and opening all the way which they were. i then plugged the reader into a couple other vehicles and they all said 0% when closed and 100% at wot. so i bought a new tps and this one says 12.5% closed and 70% throttle at wot.

I then removed the new tps but left it connected to the harness and it read as 2.5% throttle, and did the same with the old and it read as 11.8%

does anybody have any idea whats going on here, ive been looking and cant find anything. any help would be greatly appreciated.

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
it is possible that your reader is not functioning properly on this truck.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Some of the cheaper readers don't know how to interpret the signal and will push false results.

The cheap reader I got from harbor freight a few years ago gives me the same thing. Does the same thing on fords and GMCs plus subsidiaries.

As long as the throttle plate opens and closes all the way you will be fine, the PCM has already learned the TPS.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Could easily be a stretched throttle cable..

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

OP
OP

99_Ram_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Could easily be a stretched throttle cable..

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

nope. already checked that. i hooked up another reader and got the exact same numbers again. im gonna find another 2nd gen ram and scan it to see what it says.

since the new tps my fuel milage has gone up an incredible amount.

Dodgeram35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ever find out the problem? I have the same exact issue

OP
OP

99_Ram_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Did you ever find out the problem? I have the same exact issue

not 100% yet, but im leaning towards the computer is bad because of the other symptoms im having too which could have something to do with the readings of the tps.
On monday im going to see if i can pick up anther computer and try it, i will let you know what happens.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
On every vehicle i've worked on and been able to get TPS sensor readings, none of them have ever hit 0% or 100%. its designed that way. Really all a TPS sensor is, is a 3/4 turn potentiometer. The throttle plate barely makes it a full half turn. Since the pot will output between 0V-5V, you will never get a reading of 0 or 5V, because the throttle plate simply won't rotate that far. Why not use a half turn pot? Troubleshooting, thats it. Since a 3/4 turn pot will never hit the stops on either side of its travel, the computer knows that if it receives either 0 or 5V that there is a problem, since it should never see those values. If you used a half turn pot, then 5V and 0V would be common, say the pot broke or the wire was shorted to ground (0V), the computer would never know, and always think you're either flooring it, or at idle.

Based on your readings, everything is fine with the TPS. The reason you got 0-100% on some vehicles, is solely because of the data they provide. Vehicles 'learn' the TPS position at idle and WOT, thats why Dodge has the APPs reset procedure. Dodge, Chevy and Ford all (mostly) report actual sensor voltage as a percentage. Some manufacturers report the 'learned' percentage, which would show 0-100% but when looking at the voltages you'd still only see a range from about .5V to 4.5V.

Last edited:
OP
OP

99_Ram_2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
What's cyl 8 plug look like?

my number 8 looks good, my number 2 kept fowling up.
a week ago i did a pcm reset and have only used supreme fuel and since than i havent had a problem.
before i did the reset, 5 or 6 times a day it would go into misfiring spells while driving and would idle as low as 200rpm

99RoughCountryRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 litre 360 magnum v8
I've learned this the hard way Mopar and gm tbi,tpi, and mpfi you are better off buying the OEM sensors sometimes even from a boneyard than putting parts stores house brand new sensors on the vehicles and they will usually drive you nuts with problems and intermittent issues you can't explain until you do acquire the OEM sensor and fix it.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I've learned this the hard way Mopar and gm tbi,tpi, and mpfi you are better off buying the OEM sensors sometimes even from a boneyard than putting parts stores house brand new sensors on the vehicles and they will usually drive you nuts with problems and intermittent issues you can't explain until you do acquire the OEM sensor and fix it.
Quit necroposting bro