Thuren coils ride and payload?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I’m looking to tame the ride on the rear of my 14 2500. Looking at Thuren coils. Would like some input about the difference in ride quality unloaded, and the effects of the coils on payload.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi, I am not 100% sure of the answer on this but i can contact Don Thuren and see what he says. I do know the ride empty will be much smoother. I am not 100% sure about the loaded ride.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Hi, I am not 100% sure of the answer on this but i can contact Don Thuren and see what he says. I do know the ride empty will be much smoother. I am not 100% sure about the loaded ride.

I’m not so much concerned with loaded ride as with loss of payload capacity and extra squat when loaded. His site says it will squat like a 1/2 ton. Wondering if I would need to add airbags with the coils

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Depends on what ur trying to haul?

I’m not trying to haul anything specific. What I’m concerned about is losing my ability to use my truck up to it’s full capabilities. Id like to tame the ride some without losing what makes my truck a 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Send an Email to Don Thuren. He will give you the information you are looking for.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have the full Thuren suspension installed and like it a lot. I added air bags to help with the squat when hauling or 5th wheel with a hitch weight north of 2000#. I would agree with the statement saying it squats like a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Sounds about right.
Also Carli has pictures of stock truck with a load and the same truck with their coils with the same load so u can see the difference.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have the full Thuren suspension installed and like it a lot. I added air bags to help with the squat when hauling or 5th wheel with a hitch weight north of 2000#. I would agree with the statement saying it squats like a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TPMS Adjusted..Ask me how!

Have they come up with a work around?

G. Mcpherson

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Ram 2500 CC SB Tradesman
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Click on the Highlighted Truck part of his posting on the bottom left.. Takes you to his Web Page.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I’m looking to tame the ride on the rear of my 14 2500. Looking at Thuren coils. Would like some input about the difference in ride quality unloaded, and the effects of the coils on payload.

You can't have both, at least without spending a LOT of money on a custom system. A softer suspension is going to have significantly less cargo carrying ability. A harder suspension is going to have more cargo carrying ability. I find the ride in my coil 2500 to be very good... much better than old leaf sprung half tons I've had in the past...

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
You can't have both, at least without spending a LOT of money on a custom system. A softer suspension is going to have significantly less cargo carrying ability. A harder suspension is going to have more cargo carrying ability. I find the ride in my coil 2500 to be very good... much better than old leaf sprung half tons I've had in the past...

That’s interesting. Mine is bone jarring. Way worse than I remember my 06 mega CTD. Could be that I've been used to an F150 for the last 4 years. Doesn’t bother me but the wife hates it. Been thinking about thuren springs and adding airbags so I can pump them up when I need the extra capacity

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
That’s interesting. Mine is bone jarring. Way worse than I remember my 06 mega CTD. Could be that I've been used to an F150 for the last 4 years. Doesn’t bother me but the wife hates it. Been thinking about thuren springs and adding airbags so I can pump them up when I need the extra capacity

Have you dropped your tire pressure from 80 to 50 or60 psi? Makes a huge difference. I agree with that earlier post... the new 3/4ton coil system is almost as smooth as the 1/2 ton leaf.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Have you dropped your tire pressure from 80 to 50 or60 psi? Makes a huge difference. I agree with that earlier post... the new 3/4ton coil system is almost as smooth as the 1/2 ton leaf.

I haven't because I understand that the TPMS will freak out if I do it

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Exactly. Your older truck likely had the loaded/unloaded switch for TPMS, if it had TPMS at all. Running your tires at a lower pressure will give a softer ride... but again at the expense of payload. Of course its pretty easy to air up your tires when you need the extra capacity.

I run all 4 corners at 70 psi and still think its no worse than my half ton.

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Old truck was pre TPMS. I'll try pulling some air out of the tires. The TPMS has a 20% threshold so I should be able to run the rears as low as 66-67 and the fronts at 55ish although I really feel like the rear is the issue.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I run my tires at 52 psi front & 48 psi in the rear. The ride is much better than at 60/70.

The TPMS light is on, but I'd rather live with the light than the harsh ride it had before. At 55 psi in the rear, my tires barely bulged when I had a yard of dirt in the bed. AND, these are 37x12.50r20s. Lots of sidewall to bulge if they were gonna do it.
7WGmko.jpg
bs9XUA.jpga9sLzC.jpg

This is with 295/65r20s and 55 psi. The pic is cut off, but about the same amount of tire bulge... next to nothing!
QtyLJk.jpg

OP
OP
K

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Dropped my tires to just above the TPMS threshold and it seems to have helped a little

COAinPaso

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have Thuren springs front and rear, 1" lift ( Cummins only I think), ride is unbelievable. Soft, but not too soft. However, without bags it squats big time! I figured this would be true, because Aaron at Thuren said that it would squat. So at the same time as the springs I installed Hellwig bigwig bags. Hellwig claims that the bigger diameter bags provide the same weight support with less air, and they are right. I run the bags between 12-18 psi empty and the most I've had in them was 44 psi hauling a Ford skip loader. Total trailer and tractor weight was probably 14-15k. Those bags are around $300, air compressor with a tank was about the same.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro