Time for an oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What is the best oil to run in the 5.7l hemi? I have heard of some guys running the redline oil to help silent the "hemi tick". Let me know what y'all think, thanks.

OP
OP
FancyStancy

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thank you for the info on the thread. So if I want to run Redline, where can I get it? I would like to find it in-store instead of online because I want to change it Sunday or Monday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see that you have an 04' so you definitely have some miles on your truck. I used to run royal purple and spend $70 on a oil change. I now have 140k on the truck and have recently switched to cheap castrol gtx high mileage. Heck i even buy the gallon jug from walmart along with two quarts and a filter for cheap. It quieted my tick.

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
My cam installer said he uses Penzoil Platinum full synthetic in his vehicles and all the ones he does installs on. He runs a Mopar shop and I went with his advice and I've got no tick or anything. I recently just changed the oil and used the Penzoil again.

OP
OP
FancyStancy

FancyStancy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I see that you have an 04' so you definitely have some miles on your truck. I used to run royal purple and spend $70 on a oil change. I now have 140k on the truck and have recently switched to cheap castrol gtx high mileage. Heck i even buy the gallon jug from walmart along with two quarts and a filter for cheap. It quieted my tick.

I have 70k, thanks for the info

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
My cam installer said he uses Penzoil Platinum full synthetic in his vehicles and all the ones he does installs on. He runs a Mopar shop and I went with his advice and I've got no tick or anything. I recently just changed the oil and used the Penzoil again.

Yeah PP is a great oil its actually what im running now no complaints, although i have consumed between 600mL and 900mL (probably closer to 600, i hope lol, but i forget how much the container started with so i cant say for sure) of oil only ~3500km into the oil change. It is winter, lots of cold starts, its normal to burn off some oil but i hope when i go redline that will stop

Also the fact that were i live PP is so expensive when not on mega sale in 5l jugs redline is extremely competitively priced for the quality of the product!

So in a few thousand km ill be hitting up my local worldpac (monidex is what its called here) for some redline and then probably napa for a wix platinum syn filter ( 15$ plus tax i believe). After 10k filter change and oil sample and go from there.
Ive already done a UOA and ill probably do one on this PP so ill have some history going into this!

SD38-2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been using Amsoil in my 08 1500 Hemi. With conventional oil I would get the hemi tick but since I switched to Amsoil the tick has gone away. I use Amsoil because my local NAPA always has it on the shelf. I thought about using Royal Purple but they don't always have it on the shelf.