Time to Lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I want to level my truck and abuse it when I go down to the lakes/rivers/whatever. What do I need to do to make sure my suspension holds up to a little rough riding? Willing to spend some money if I Have to and also willing to sacrifice some of the ride but, this will still be my DD so I can't get extreme with it.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Do you want to level or lift? Or both? Are you 4x4?

OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I'm 4x4(though I rarely kick it in) I want to lift it maybe 2 inches level it out put some 35 or 36s under it with 20 inch wheels and eventually I could decide to lift it more but that would be on down the road. Also throw some stiffer shocks under it.

GlOcKnRaM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Well if you want shocks and to level it/ lift it..I'd suggest going with Bilsteins set em at 2.8 or 2.1 with some rake and slap on some 35" tires

OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 5100`s? Never done a lift before I would appreciate any specifics or details so I get a good understanding of what I'm getting into

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
The adjustable 5100's will improve ride quality and allow you to lift/level the front to a few different settings (0", .7", 1.4", 2.1", 2.8") which will settle ~.2" lower, so i would recommend going with the 2.8 setting for a true level look, and to fit 35's.

OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds great and is that all I need almost sounds too easy lol

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Go level then body lift it 3 inchs for more tire clearance. Thus maintaining the stock ride quality. This is how I am doing my truck

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4

rwalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Sounds great and is that all I need almost sounds too easy lol

Yup, thats all you need. Check out Bully's Performance, they should be able to hook you up with a great deal on the Bilsteins as well as your new tires

OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks a lot guys I'm sure these questions get old to regulars but I definitely appreciate it a lot

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
A lot of people have gotten the rear shocks as well so they have the smooth ride all around, and when you decide to lift it down the road you already have the shocks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Stiff shocks are a double edge sword, I agree with the adjustable shock choice. I've ran 3 firm shock packages previously, I can't say I liked any of them but KYB was probably my favorite. Rancho and Bilsteins were too stiff for my liking. Great on highway and going around corners, hell on the trail. I actually know guys who ran pro comps that were happy with them. They are not built to last but give a nice smooth trail ride. I would do some research into buying your shocks, I was stuck with a ride I didn't like because it was so expensive to switch shocks again, especially because my rig took 6.

If I was you I would just get a 4 inch lift and new shocks and be done with it. Just get the right shocks.

Texas Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

fdnj48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The adjustable 5100's will improve ride quality and allow you to lift/level the front to a few different settings (0", .7", 1.4", 2.1", 2.8") which will settle ~.2" lower, so i would recommend going with the 2.8 setting for a true level look, and to fit 35's.

I personally disagree with the improved ride quality part. My truck rides like **** since I did the Bilsteins set at 2.1. I love the look but absolutely hate the ride. I'll be going back to my stock shocks soon.

And for the op here is a pic of my truck with the Bilsteins set to 2.1 just so you have an idea of what to expect

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1378437695280.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1378437695280.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
M

MilesJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea it's definitely more extreme than I need to go but it would be fun wouldn't it! Bit unrealistic right now. Not saying I wouldn't do something like that when the truck is a little older though. I wonder why there is such a difference in opinion on the 5100s. Could there be some small detail causing loss in ride quality that some people are missing and others aren't?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those are great shocks, they are just firm and you actually want soft. Not OEM soft but performance soft. The first thing I do when on a trail is lower my air pressure in my tires, because firm is no good over rocks, not in tires or shocks. Firm is great for the street, but like I said just about everything you do performance wise is a double edge sword, you give up something to get something. However, OEM shocks are usually so bad that a firm shock will seam like an improvement for people who haven't run many brands of shock. I have ran several brands of shock, and BILSTEIN's are gut bsuters. They are built like a brick chithouse and will last the trucks life, but you will regret the choice on tough trails.

BILSTEIN's and Rancho's have very little rebound, when you go down into a ditch it feels like you stay in the ditch, but the kyb's will pop you out of the ditch. I don't like the KYB's either, but imo they are easily best of those 3. Adjustable is the way to go, or even a Monroe shock is a good choice. Just one man's opinion here, but I have ran all of the above and more. Adjustable will let you go from street to creek and perform exactly like you want in both. Some brands even let you adjust from the Cab, pretty cool if you ask me. They cost a lot more, but it is way way worth it. Those firm shocks have ruined many pleasant rides for me.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
FYI the BILSTEIN's I ran was the blue/yellow HD and I had 4 on my front end.

Bully's Performance

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Bilstiens and Rancho are a very popular choice, BDS is one of the best kits on the market to date for the Rams, we can get you the best pricing around on any of the above, OP you have received some very good advice in this thread :), if you are looking to make a purchase feel free to reach out to us and we can get you hooked up very nicely, you can reach us @ 855-432-FAST or email us directly at [email protected]