TIPM problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hi everyone I'am new here.
But I have been having a problem lately and wondering if anyone can lend some advice. To make a long story short I installed a pair of halo projector head lights and now my driver side low beam doesn't work. I put the stock headlights in and still it doesn't work. I took my truck to my brothers automotive school and was told that he tried everything like switching bulbs, checking the power which it does receive some power but not enough to turn the low beam on, checking wires and relays everything. finally he came to the conclusion that it is the TIPM.
so now here is my question. I have spoken to the dealership and they want over 800 dollars to replace it!!! that is ridiculousness. I have looked online and the cheapest one that I can find is around 600, which is fine because my brother can install it, that match my vin and the dealerships part number.

That being said I have read online that once you replace one of these there i will have to end up taking it to the dealership to get it coded? I am a little vague onto what that means will my truck even start up if i replace it? Or am i better off just going to the dealership anyway and having them replace it? or should I take it to a mechanic and see if it is the TIPM after all or something else?
please any help will be much appreciated. I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 5.7.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome to rf. I believe a member "Rocket" just recently had his replaced, he would possibly know about coding the tipm

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same exact headlight issue happened to me on my 06. It was 800 bucks at the dealer for a brand new one. I was pissed!

OP
OP
A

alusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thank you quietpeen i just messaged him regarding my issue.
catching zs did you have yours replaced at the dealership? Did they have to recode the new box and everything?

iam having trouble believing that just a headlight being out could be cause by the whole TIPM being messed up. there is nothing else wrong with my truck either no other check lights or anything. Its un heard of that i might have to pay 1000 bucks to get this fixed.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, my dealer put it in, they has to recode and do the entire new setup. My low beam circuits were completely shot due to a half ass HID wiring job with no relay.. That's just how these trucks are, the TIPM is the heart of the truck.

OP
OP
A

alusmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that is sounding pretty similar to what is going on with my truck. I really don't want to give it to the dealership. I was hoping to replace it myself considering i found a cheaper one. But iam very nervous about putting a new one in there and my truck not even starting.

Has anyone replaced there themselves and had any success?
I realize I have to bring it to the dealership to get it coded but my problem is i dont want to get bent over in chargers of labor when it can take 15 minutes to switch them out and then have them code it.

Catchin Zs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you want it done right, take it to the dealer. I can't imagine the amount of wiring it would take to put a new one in. But if you're brave enough, go for it.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
The tipm ''cluster'' for lack of a better term sits under the fuse box on the driver's side under the hood. I was told the design is basically ''open'' too the elemaents....humidity,heat,cold.......not good for a circuit board..... Mine is going......my lights flicker and my wiper delay is sporsdic at times. I blew 800 bucks, thinking I was getting a tipm/ I was given another electric 4x4 module instead. Dealer said it was a wash.......and didn't replace the tipm......I still have the flickering and wiper issue's.

King nothing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
If you want it done right, take it to the dealer. I can't imagine the amount of wiring it would take to put a new one in. But if you're brave enough, go for it.
I would assume like everything else on these trucks nowadays that you would just be able to unplug it and plug a new one in. I doubt there would be any actual wiring. It will have to be flashed at the dealership however. You can find a TIPM cheaper if you find someone who is parting a truck out. Ive seen them go for 2-300 but you have to get the right one and trust that it is good

Hooker52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
Hey alusmc,

So this isn't a fix, rather its a patch. If your driver side Low Beam is out, but passenger side is good...get an HID Harness. On the harnesses, you only need to plug in one stock socket to the harness. So plug in your Passenger side stock wiring into the harness (since your lows work on that side) and then run your bulbs from the harness. This will let both your lights work.

Doesn't fix the TIPM, but remedies the problem! Of course, your battery is on the Driver side so you will probably have to get an extension for the power wire since the harness is designed to plug into that stock wiring on the Driver Side, but this shouldn't be difficult.

angeles92

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Anyone know where i could get a TIPM around the Galveston TX area

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
They have them on ebay...../dealer can order.../ mebbe a junkyard........it's not a auto parts store product.

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
Problem is that when some people install new headlights with halo's and projectors they do a half-assed job. The correct way it should be done is the halo's should be on a relay that gets its power from the parking lamp circuit. The actual headlight circuit is so finiky it is stupid. Even installing bulbs that you think should work (Sylvania silver stars) will pop a code. Cotta be real careful when doing electrical work on our trucks.

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
Problem is that when some people install new headlights with halo's and projectors they do a half-assed job. The correct way it should be done is the halo's should be on a relay that gets its power from the parking lamp circuit. The actual headlight circuit is so finiky it is stupid. Even installing bulbs that you think should work (Sylvania silver stars) will pop a code. Cotta be real careful when doing electrical work on our trucks.

Or not using the proper harness....one word of caution. The relays better be protected. Any foriegn matter,water,dirt,crap,snot....well mebbe not snot, will wreak havoc when you dearly need the lights.......like at night.:pp:

dhawke

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 dodge ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
*1-800-465-2001here is dodge Canada phone number we should flood them with calls this is a serious problem with that they need to fix this problem and don't call you're dealer ship because they won't contact dodge on your behalf they only want the money I myself have been posting this **** all over Facebook find me on facebook Dave p hawke

I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi and just recently my right head light went out so thinking it was a burnt out bulb I replaced both bulbs hi beam and day time light work but low beam don't and I still have the same problem so I called a dodge dealer and a parts person told me that it was probably the head light plug witch cost about $95 Canadian so I changed it still no fix and keep in mind both blubs are new in the last 4 months so I took the left bulb out and put it in the right plug to make sure it wasn't the bulb and the right to left still same problem so I took apart the fuse box and it looks like its in good shape no corrosion or burn marks inside next step is I looked at the head light switch again looks good I personally think that dodge should be calling all dodge owners and telling them we have a fix for you're vehicles at no cost to us because they created this problem not us and we spent good money to buy there product

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
*1-800-465-2001here is dodge Canada phone number we should flood them with calls this is a serious problem with that they need to fix this problem and don't call you're dealer ship because they won't contact dodge on your behalf they only want the money I myself have been posting this **** all over Facebook find me on facebook Dave p hawke

I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 4x4 5.7 hemi and just recently my right head light went out so thinking it was a burnt out bulb I replaced both bulbs hi beam and day time light work but low beam don't and I still have the same problem so I called a dodge dealer and a parts person told me that it was probably the head light plug witch cost about $95 Canadian so I changed it still no fix and keep in mind both blubs are new in the last 4 months so I took the left bulb out and put it in the right plug to make sure it wasn't the bulb and the right to left still same problem so I took apart the fuse box and it looks like its in good shape no corrosion or burn marks inside next step is I looked at the head light switch again looks good I personally think that dodge should be calling all dodge owners and telling them we have a fix for you're vehicles at no cost to us because they created this problem not us and we spent good money to buy there product
When dealing with electrical, start at the bulb and check the wiring......A lot of times it is crap built up right at the plug in, I would clean all connections and test for current first, before blaming the tipm, or dodge.

I too had problems but corrosion at the relay(s) plug in was the culprit.
electro gel applied will work wonders after cleaning, btw.:)

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
My blown passenger's side headlight circuit cost me $20 fix... a relay triggered off the driver's side circuit and I was back in business, no need to replace an $800 item.

Mikebean

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trying to help

hi everyone I'am new here.
But I have been having a problem lately and wondering if anyone can lend some advice. To make a long story short I installed a pair of halo projector head lights and now my driver side low beam doesn't work. I put the stock headlights in and still it doesn't work. I took my truck to my brothers automotive school and was told that he tried everything like switching bulbs, checking the power which it does receive some power but not enough to turn the low beam on, checking wires and relays everything. finally he came to the conclusion that it is the TIPM.
so now here is my question. I have spoken to the dealership and they want over 800 dollars to replace it!!! that is ridiculousness. I have looked online and the cheapest one that I can find is around 600, which is fine because my brother can install it, that match my vin and the dealerships part number.

That being said I have read online that once you replace one of these there i will have to end up taking it to the dealership to get it coded? I am a little vague onto what that means will my truck even start up if i replace it? Or am i better off just going to the dealership anyway and having them replace it? or should I take it to a mechanic and see if it is the TIPM after all or something else?
please any help will be much appreciated. I have a 2007 dodge ram 1500 5.7.

I also have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 but mine is the trx4 model I was having problems with the stalling while driving and it wouldn't start at times then finally I put it in the shop and have the tipm replaced that's what the diagnostic machine said but then after it was replaced I still have the problem ended up being all my ignition coils need to replace well that being said the tipm was 750 with labor and ignition coils with 750 with labor and you have to make sure they're all Mopar but as much rating as I have been doing I this tipm s*** excuse my language as long as your VIN number matches and it matches your vehicle you won't have to have it programmed your vehicle it already is pretty much it should act just fine but if you do have it replaced by your mechanic then just call Dodge and ask them how much it will cost have it programmed if you needed it programmed and it's really not that hard to replace it yourself it's 1 13mm bolt you slide it off the mount and then you disconnect terminals at the bottom and that's it after you unhook the power cables to it of course

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Anyone know where i could get a TIPM around the Galveston TX area[/QUOTE

That and more happened to my truck, I had all kinds of electrical problems, I ordered a tipcm from automix.com, it's a website that searches junkyards across the country for the part you need. I ordered a tipcm from a dry climate state so I wouldn't have to worry about corrosion, it shipped fast, but one circuit was bad so they sent me another one at no cost to me and didn't want the other one back, well in the end I received 3 tipcm' full of fuses and relays btw, 3rd one is good, paid 135$ for tipcm and 120$ to have it programmed at my local shop. Have about that in relays alone, lol

shadyln50

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 ram 3500
Engine
ST
lost my left low beam found a quick fix on youtube. put in the jumper from the right side and it worked for 700 miles then lost low beams altogether. evidently that was to many amps through the circuit and burned out the circuit board on that side also. until I can find another tipm for 2004 4x4 with 5.9 I put in hot wire from battery to run low beams