Tips on doing a restoration on a Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Classiclawncare

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey,

Back in 2003 I bought a brand new Ram 1500 2 door slt with the Hemi engine.

I kept it until 06 and then sold it with 73,000 miles. I just bought it back last weekend. The truck now has 232,000 miles on it. It was a daily driver and is still all original from what I can tell.

I want to restore this truck back to like new condition.

I know itll need all new interior, dash, carpet, seats, headlights, tailights, rear window ect as they are all dirty, worn out ect. Are there any good websites to lookup and buy these parts?

I also would like to either have the engine rebuilt or drop in a new one. Im thinking a news transmission and rear diff as well. Any thoughts on this?

Im just trying to wrap my head around this project and get some others thoughts and feedback. This truck will be an extra truck for me, not a daily driver, so it doesnt have to be done overnight.

Thanx for any input or help.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
How crazy are you wanting to go? Performance mods or just redoing the cosmetics? And budget? If you don’t mind finding parts at wrecking yards, I’ve found a bunch of parts of car-part.com. It’s basically a nation wide data base of parts from wrecking yards. I keep a close watch on Craigslist for trucks getting parted out, and also Facebook marketplace is getting pretty active. There are a bunch of Facebook truck pages that people sell used parts from, as well as forum classifieds. Deals are out there if you be patient and buy smart. If you want to go for a performance build let us know and we will gladly assist you in spending your money haha

OP
OP
Classiclawncare

Classiclawncare

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stimpy- Thank you for that, that helps a lot.

Chrisp- Im still thinking about it, but Im thinking mainly just making it like new-stock, maybe a little more hp from a programmer or something like that. There really isnt a budget, or timetable just want ti to be done right the 1st time.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
It’s always easier the first time and when it’s all opened up, that’s for sure. Let us know any other questions and we will be glad to help out. If you have the 03 truck (as I do) you only have a limited amount of tuning. It’s just a fun little trademark of owning a ******* child 03. There are some options, but the best choice if you want any upgrades is to do a computer swap to an 05 pcm. It will require some electrical experience as far as identifying, tagging, cutting and soldering about 25-30 wires, but overall it’s fairly easy and opens up a whole new world of tuning, including transmission tuning. Something to think about. I have done it on mine and no regrets

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your gonna do a rebuild might as well add some performance goodies. Like already posted Lmc is a good place for parts. You may also try eastcoastmoparts.com

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I initially missed where it said 2 door, I was about to tell you about the mint quad cab door panels I have sitting in boxes since I swapped in SRT panels years ago lol.

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Looking forward to see how this comes out I have a 02 2 door and it’s a lot of fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I initially missed where it said 2 door, I was about to tell you about the mint quad cab door panels I have sitting in boxes since I swapped in SRT panels years ago lol.
How much would you want for them? I may be interested. Oh and do you have any pictures of them?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How much would you want for them? I may be interested. Oh and do you have any pictures of them?

I can get pics, they're boxed up right now. I'd have to see what they're going for right now, unless you have a number in mind. Due to size (unless you're close to Baltimore) shipping might suck on these.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

korby05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I can get pics, they're boxed up right now. I'd have to see what they're going for right now, unless you have a number in mind. Due to size (unless you're close to Baltimore) shipping might suck on these.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk
Hmmm. Well I'm close to Pittsburgh so that may not work. A couple years ago I lived near Harford county

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Could probably work something out delivery wise, I'm actually moving the contents of the garage at the moment so I should have pics shortly.

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Reviving the dead.
I too have 2003 Ram 1500 quad Hemi. I just put 160,000 miles on it this month. It’s the most comfortable vehicle I’ve ever sat it, only vehicle I’ve ever seen that can hold my water thermos in its cup holder, it’s really the only body style of truck I like, and it still looks pretty. And I’ve only done minor maintenance on it since I’ve had it (oil, breaks, shocks, tires, alternator)

Before the answer is “it’ll cost more than it’s worth”,
How much would it cost for a full restoration to new - new paint, all new hoses, engine rebuild (or would a new one be cheaper), exhaust, suspension, leather seats, sound proofing, new headliner, upgraded wiring, etc.

I’m just debating a new truck for $60,000 that I don’t love the look of, or redoing this one.

Wile E Coyote Jr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Reviving the dead.
I too have 2003 Ram 1500 quad Hemi. I just put 160,000 miles on it this month. It’s the most comfortable vehicle I’ve ever sat it, only vehicle I’ve ever seen that can hold my water thermos in its cup holder, it’s really the only body style of truck I like, and it still looks pretty. And I’ve only done minor maintenance on it since I’ve had it (oil, breaks, shocks, tires, alternator)

How much would it cost for a full restoration to new - new paint, all new hoses, engine rebuild (or would a new one be cheaper), exhaust, suspension, leather seats, sound proofing, new headliner, upgraded wiring, etc.

I’m just debating a new truck for $60,000 that I don’t love the look of, or redoing this one.
I have an 01, not an 03. But I have been going back and forth about restoring it as well, so I'll share some of the prices.

I was recently quoted $4k to paint it, and that's from a Maaco. New decals, badges, bumpers, trim, and window gaskets would be an extra $2k.

Interior I was quoted around $3k, and that's just seats and door inserts.

Pricing out a drive line rebuild entered the $10k range just in parts.

So roughly $19,000 is what I'm at. I'd imagine you won't be cheaper, given you have a larger truck and a hemi.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
Reviving the dead.

It is worth how much you are willing to pay :O
Set up a Budget Cap for your project !
I would write up a complete list of what you want to do and need and all the parts needed !
And approximate repair cost per shop !
Then I would probably add 25% + or - to the total for all the stuff you might miss :O

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It is worth how much you are willing to pay :O
Set up a Budget Cap for your project !
I would write up a complete list of what you want to do and need and all the parts needed !
And approximate repair cost per shop !
Then I would probably add 25% + or - to the total for all the stuff you might miss :O
I think part of my issue is I don’t exactly know everything that needs done. I was hoping there was a standard “here’s what a 20 year old truck needs to have done.” Then I can dive into the specifics.
But in general - if someone were turn this truck in to a dealer and they were going to turn it around into a gorgeous resale, how much would they spend.

Thanks for the response to a new post on this 3 year old thread.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I think part of my issue is I don’t exactly know everything that needs done. I was hoping there was a standard “here’s what a 20 year old truck needs to have done.” Then I can dive into the specifics.
But in general - if someone were turn this truck in to a dealer and they were going to turn it around into a gorgeous resale, how much would they spend.

Thanks for the response to a new post on this 3 year old thread.
I find this interesting old or new ! With out seeing the truck I would say motor and transmission a must ! Radiator and heater core as well.. I would also assume rebuilt AC system ! Interior could be as simple as covers or a Upholstery shop !
Frame repair ?
Wire harness from critters eating it ? Etc
IMO you would have to strip the body to the frame to inspect everything !
Or do the running gear and the rest that show up later !
For a frame up I think 30 to 50k$ or ?
Do you have a body shop you could talk to ?
Maybe have them do a inspection of the truck ?

CUAviator

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I find this interesting old or new ! With out seeing the truck I would say motor and transmission a must ! Radiator and heater core as well.. I would also assume rebuilt AC system ! Interior could be as simple as covers or a Upholstery shop !
Frame repair ?
Wire harness from critters eating it ? Etc
IMO you would have to strip the body to the frame to inspect everything !
Or do the running gear and the rest that show up later !
For a frame up I think 30 to 50k$ or ?
Do you have a body shop you could talk to ?
Maybe have them do an inspection of the truck ?
In Corpus Christi - I don’t have a whole lot down here. In general it’s in really good condition - as mentioned earlier, the truck only has 160,000 miles. I’ll definitely need radiator, brake booster, probably all new accessory drives - ac, steering, alternator, etc. I’ll need a new dash (I did the dash cover, looks ok, but it’s fake and I know it), new blend set up for the hvac, and is getting some surface rust on the bottom.

Would it be worth my time to take it to a ram dealership maintenance and have them look it over?