Tire Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I'm looking for some advice on new tires.
My factory Goodyear set will probably last one more winter (yet to be determined), but not much more than that if I want to play it safe.

I had a set of Toyo AT/II's on my last truck that I really liked, but my situation has changed since then.
I used to spend a lot of time in either heavy traffic, or out in the bush camping and trail riding. Winters in my old town could be very cold, and summer was usually pretty mild.

Now, most of my time is spent on the highway, with some light city driving.
I'm also traveling on gravel roads on an almost daily basis.

I'm looking for a tire that isn't going to make a ton of noise on the highway.
But I also want something that's going to be capable on gravel roads, and not get chewed up too quickly.
And something that isn't going to throw rocks like some tires are known to be bad for.

Looking for an all season tire.

I tow about 8,000lbs during summer months. It also gets pretty hot here in mid-summer with 35C to 40C (95F to 104F) fairly common.
We get some heavy rain here too, so I want a tread that is somewhat resistant to hydroplaning.
Winters here are a lot milder than the last place I lived, but I'll still have snow and ice to contend with.

I'm tempted to go back with the Toyo's but don't know how they'll hold up between the use on gravel, and with the high summer temp's.

Anyone have any advice?

P.s. I obviously want to find the best deal I can, but price is less of a concern than quality and capability.

pickupman66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I spend alot of time on the highway, and after a TON of research, the Yokohama Geolander HT G056 was the best fit for me. I have put about 3000 miles on them and so far, WONDERFUL tire. They are well rated by Tirerack.com too. I dont do much trail on mine but what little bits I have had it in the dirt and on gravel road, they performed really well.

rsdata

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 BigHorn 1500 8spd 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had good performance out of a set of GoodYear Wrangler LT... they used to call them "Silent Armor". Very little road noise, agressive tread pattern for great all weather traction and they wear like iron. After 45K miles on a set, I still have 50% tread left.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I love my Terra GRappler G2's. Quite on the road and enough of a grip to get me out of the occasional crappy situation

OP
OP
dRAMbuie

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I spend alot of time on the highway, and after a TON of research, the Yokohama Geolander HT G056 was the best fit for me. I have put about 3000 miles on them and so far, WONDERFUL tire. They are well rated by Tirerack.com too. I dont do much trail on mine but what little bits I have had it in the dirt and on gravel road, they performed really well.

I've been looking at a few different brands of H/T tire.
Tempting, but I'm not sure how they'll hold up on gravel vs. an A/T.
Always had A/T's on my trucks, so I'm not very familiar with highway terrain tires.

Have a buddy who had Geolander A/T's on his Commanche and loved them.
Maybe I'll do a bit more research on those H/T's you're suggesting and see.

Thanks for the recommendation.

OP
OP
dRAMbuie

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have had good performance out of a set of GoodYear Wrangler LT... they used to call them "Silent Armor". Very little road noise, agressive tread pattern for great all weather traction and they wear like iron. After 45K miles on a set, I still have 50% tread left.

I believe these are what I have on the truck now.
To be fair, they have performed very well. Not the best tires I've ever owned, but good in their own right.

I may end up getting another set, but still evaluation options.

I love my Terra GRappler G2's. Quite on the road and enough of a grip to get me out of the occasional crappy situation

I've heard great things about these tires for the most part. Only problem I've heard with these, is that they don't perform well at all on snow and ice, which would be a major problem for me.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I live in South LA so can't help with snow

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ram444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What size tire?

monteholic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I will go back to Michelin Defenders, I ran the LTX M/S on all my prior trucks and I hate these Duratrac I have now

OP
OP
dRAMbuie

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I will go back to Michelin Defenders, I ran the LTX M/S on all my prior trucks and I hate these Duratrac I have now

I've read quite a few good reviews on those Defenders. They're high on my list right now.

Thanks.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Bfg ko2 will probably be my next set. Winter ability is upposed to be amazing.

They are great and will likely outlast most others. Time will tell.

OP
OP
dRAMbuie

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Been looking around a fair bit since my original post.
Man, those tire review sites are terrible. Everybody just hates everything.

The best overall reviewed tires I've found are Duratracs and Open Country C/T (which I'd never heard of).
The C/T's look awesome! But holy smokes are they pricey, and don't have a treadwear warranty.

Part of me thinks I'll end up with another pair of A/T II's given the great warranty.
I see a lot of complaints about poor winter traction, but the ones I had on my Dakota were actually pretty good on snow and ice. For an A/T anyway.

Sometimes I think people with no experience driving on A/T's, buy them and expect them to perform like a winter tire would.

But I digress...

Anyone have experience with those C/T's?

develand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I had the AT2 on my last ram and drove mostly city. They did great in all speeds and conditions. I would not hesitate to buy again if I needed to.

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
towing 4 tonnes? stick with an e rated toyo. or maybe look at the ridge grappler and compare to a few similar.

Gump

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like Terra Grapplers on my trucks. They are good on ice and snow, plus have a great mileage warranty.

OP
OP
dRAMbuie

dRAMbuie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
towing 4 tonnes? stick with an e rated toyo. or maybe look at the ridge grappler and compare to a few similar.

Yeah, in reality it's probably a little over 7,000lbs but I do see your point.
The factory tires have performed well while towing, but I may look for something a little heavier duty going forward.

Only down side to those heavier ply tires would be ride quality I guess.