Tonneau Cover for 2018 Laramie short bed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I prefer the roll type covers since I need full bed access multiple times a day and the tri folds are a bit of a pain to fold up every time vs the unlock and give it a quick shove of the premium roll type. I'd go roll n lock or retrax if you want a secure cover and never take it off. The roll n lock uses less bed space of the 2, which is why I went roll n lock. Tri fold hard cover like truxedo or bakflip if you want secure, but don't need to access the bed too often apart from next to the tailgate and want to remove it completely. A soft roll up if you just want something to keep stuff dry in the back, but don't care about security as they are a lot cheaper and will do the job if that

What size bed do you have? Im very interested in the roll n lock. Do you have any cons to share?

LaramieGen4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lots of good options out there. I never had or even considered a tonneau before but really love having one now. I wanted something with a hard surface with the locking tailgate so I can leave stuff in it and feel fairly secure about it. I also wanted something that fit as flush as possible. I didn't see a need to pay more for a tri-fold cover vs. a bi-fold cover. I went with the Gator Evo bi-fold hard cover. I don't really have great pix of it but below is one of the truck sitting in the garage. With my truck leveled, it's really hard to even tell there is a cover on it when looking from the side or back.

Jstmahoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 5.7 Crew Cab 4x4
Engine
5.7 hemi
Lots of good options out there. I never had or even considered a tonneau before but really love having one now. I wanted something with a hard surface with the locking tailgate so I can leave stuff in it and feel fairly secure about it. I also wanted something that fit as flush as possible. I didn't see a need to pay more for a tri-fold cover vs. a bi-fold cover. I went with the Gator Evo bi-fold hard cover. I don't really have great pix of it but below is one of the truck sitting in the garage. With my truck leveled, it's really hard to even tell there is a cover on it when looking from the side or back.

Nice! Are those Ko2’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What size bed do you have? Im very interested in the roll n lock. Do you have any cons to share?
I have the crew cab with the 6'4" box. It's not 100% waterproof, but close enough. I don't have a tailgate seal as I haul dirt, mulch and gravel in it sometimes and it's a pain to clean so I get dust and water close to the tailgate. I have to clean out the latches with terminal cleaner or brake clean to get moisture out and then load the latches and lock with grease annually or it'll freeze and I can't open it, but I have to do the same with the tailgate and door latches too since I see as cold as -40C. The drain plugs clog sometimes so you have to blow air through them or poke a screwdriver into them to clear them, but I would think that applies to most since mine gets covered in leaves and pine needles certain times of the year. If you maintain it it's a great cover. I've had 2 trucks for 6+ years with them and they've been great.

OP
OP
JoeDirtHemi

JoeDirtHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Laramie 1500
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just bought a Tyger tri-fold for around $230 on amazon for my 2018 RAM Quad Cab. The build quality is fantastic, it looks great and is a fraction of the cost of almost all of the other well known brands. This is the second tri-fold that I've bought (owned one for my Titan in 2005). Anyway, tri-folds are very versatile, water tight and the Tyger brand fits RAMs really nicely.

Just bought this as well!!

lasher10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i6 Diesel
BAK Industries Revolver X2
Looks like a soft cover with no seams on top but is actually a hard cover that locks with your tail gate. I like it because it rolls all the way to the front of the bed like a roll of carpet giving you pretty much 100% use of your bed if you want.

TatertotScott

The man, the myth, the legend, the one and only!
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BAK Industries Revolver X2
Looks like a soft cover with no seams on top but is actually a hard cover that locks with your tail gate. I like it because it rolls all the way to the front of the bed like a roll of carpet giving you pretty much 100% use of your bed if you want.
Mine is better than 99% waterproof and super secure. I really like the metal locking bar down both sides and low profile clamps.

I open and close my tailgate without regard for the cover always and have had no issues open or closed.

+/- you will spend $900 on one, but it was well worth it in my experience...

Tapatalked from my expensive "smart" phone.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the crew cab with the 6'4" box. It's not 100% waterproof, but close enough. I don't have a tailgate seal as I haul dirt, mulch and gravel in it sometimes and it's a pain to clean so I get dust and water close to the tailgate. I have to clean out the latches with terminal cleaner or brake clean to get moisture out and then load the latches and lock with grease annually or it'll freeze and I can't open it, but I have to do the same with the tailgate and door latches too since I see as cold as -40C. The drain plugs clog sometimes so you have to blow air through them or poke a screwdriver into them to clear them, but I would think that applies to most since mine gets covered in leaves and pine needles certain times of the year. If you maintain it it's a great cover. I've had 2 trucks for 6+ years with them and they've been great.

If you weren't in such extreme temps and didn't haul the cargo you do, would there be that much maintenance needed? I love the look but I do not want to be stuck with a cover that won't open. I have been considering a hard folding cover but I have always wanted a roll N lock style.

LaramieGen4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The bulk of my cargo is a couple garbage bags and a recycle bin to the dump a couple times a week. I have had my truck almost 2 years and have only had 1 occasion where I needed to remove my cover to haul something. Very easy to do and doesn't take long at all to remove or put back on, especially if you have an extra pair of hands. Mine is not 100% waterproof either. If I wash the truck or get in a really heavy downpour, some water will find it's way in on the rear corners by the tailgate. But never a lot of water - just small little puddles in those spots. It helps that my truck is level. If it had the factory rake, that water would run towards the cab and be harder to clean up and could get something else under there wet. I don't have a bedrug, but am thinking about getting one. I have a Weathertech Techliner because I bought it before I decided to add the Tonneau. With a bedrug, any water would be less likely to run anywhere and cause any issues. All I keep in the bed of my truck are golf clubs inside of a travel bag and my toolbag and my Dewalt cordless drill in its carrying case.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If you weren't in such extreme temps and didn't haul the cargo you do, would there be that much maintenance needed? I love the look but I do not want to be stuck with a cover that won't open. I have been considering a hard folding cover but I have always wanted a roll N lock style.
Even with the abuse I put mine through the maintenance is minimal. I have a can of wire terminal cleaner and lithium grease in my garage with the little red straw taped to them. Shoot the cleaner into the lock and the 2 latches the lock actuates and then shoot grease in the 3 of them. Do them and the tailgate latches in a couple minutes once a year and the runners at the same time just for the heck of it to keep it rolling smooth. The drains are easy to clear and usually are only once or twice a year as well. takes maybe 5 minutes on the one on my 11. Probably closer to 10 on the new one since they changed the way the front cover goes on and it requires removing 2 screws to remove the lid. As long as the lock and 2 latches it actuates don't freeze it opens fine every time. My buddy has the retrax and the metal slats freeze together and it's a ***** to open in the cold if it was wet beforehand. Mine is the vinyl over steel type and it always works fine. This is the cover off my 2011 that's been abused for 6 years now with constant opening and closing and salt, mud etc covering it on the regular.IMG_20180214_075716.jpg

Last edited:

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Even with the abuse I put mine through the maintenance is minimal. I have a can of wire terminal cleaner and lithium grease in my garage with the little red straw taped to them. Shoot the cleaner into the lock and the 2 latches the lock actuates and then shoot grease in the 3 of them. Do them and the tailgate latches in a couple minutes once a year and the runners at the same time just for the heck of it to keep it rolling smooth. The drains are easy to clear and usually are only once or twice a year as well. takes maybe 5 minutes on the one on my 11. Probably closer to 10 on the new one since they changed the way the front cover goes on and it requires removing 2 screws to remove the lid. As long as the lock and 2 latches it actuates don't freeze it opens fine every time. My buddy has the retrax and the metal slats freeze together and it's a ***** to open in the cold if it was wet beforehand. Mine is the vinyl over steel type and it always works fine. This is the cover off my 2011 that's been abused for 6 years now with constant opening and closing and salt, mud etc covering it on the regular.

You would recommend the vinyl covered series over the aluminium series then? I do like the looks of the vinyl series.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You would recommend the vinyl covered series over the aluminium series then? I do like the looks of the vinyl series.
If you're in a warm climate either is good, but cold climate I prefer the vinyl. Not sure how well the vinyl hold up in constant desert heat though as I don't live in that climate.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a Bak Revolver X2 on a 2017 Ram 1500 (shortbed without Ram boxes). Never had a tonneau cover before this one. I knew I did not want a one-piece hard shell and I also did not want sheet vinyl that could be cut with a knife. Very happy with the X2. It's low profile and the tailgate can be opened and closed with cover closed. Secure locking mechanism integrated into the side rails. It's also waterproof. A small amount of water gets in occasionally around the stake holes near the tailgate, but that is not the fault of the cover. It's nice that it can be rolled up to allow full bed access. As I mentioned earlier, never had a cover before so I don't know how this one compares to other brands and models, but I'm very happy with it. My brother-in-law has a retractible cover (what I call a "cover-in-a-can") and it is nice also, but it cost $400-500 more than the Bak Revolver X2 and not worth the extra money as far as I am concerned.

EcoDieselDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Just ordered a Roll N Lock M series with the Cargo Manager for my new 2017 Crew Cab Ecodiesel. It's got the Ram factory drop in liner already, but I ordered the Bedrug for the floor as well.

Looked at all the combinations I could find, and I think this is what works for me. I'll let you know once I get it all installed.!