Tool for bleeding ABS module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Finally drug the ole Mountaineer out of the mud last weekend and discovered that the brake lines as a whole are totally shot. I was already planning on a four-corner brake job as the calipers/rotors/pads are pretty much done but it looks like I'm going to be doing the lines as well. My problem is this truck has four-corner ABS and since I basically need to do a complete restoration on the brakes, I'm counting on the ABS module picking up some air and ABS modules are not easily bled manually (if at all).

I've read that one needs to "cycle" the ABS module with a scanning tool in order to push out any air trapped inside of it. My question is what exactly do I need to look for here? Will any scanner with ABS scanning capability be able to do it? Does anyone here have such a tool? I know these tools aren't cheap so I want to buy right the first time. Pretty much every vehicle back here has ABS and they could all use some brake work.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it actually requires a computer to bleed the ABS pump (like my truck does) you need a dealer level capable machine. I have a DRBIII for that stuff (bleed ABS, quick learn, etc).

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Just came on to ask basically the same thing... was looking at vacuum pumps, pneumatic pumps, or just make something with a gatorade bottle. When looking at the pneumatic pump, someone in passing made a comment about not working with ABS brakes. That's when I started looking specifically at how-to's for ABS Brake Bleeding and was mentioning of needing a computer connected.

I have an ODBII module with my Android phone/tablet... would that work?

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Bwahahahahahaha.....you didn't read a thing I wrote, did you lol?

Yup....first said dealer level machine, then said you have a DRBIII....which from the photos looks to have the same plug shape as the ODBII. So if plugs into the same port, maybe the ODBII will have the option in one of the many apps available for it.

Seems a legit question....

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yup....first said dealer level machine, then said you have a DRBIII....which from the photos looks to have the same plug shape as the ODBII. So if plugs into the same port, maybe the ODBII will have the option in one of the many apps available for it.

Seems a legit question....
Everything plugs into that port lol...it's the capability of the software. If you actually think your simple OBD program has the same capability as a dealer level computer just because they use the same plug...perhaps you shouldn't be messing with it lol. No, it's not a legitimate question, it's a funny one [emoji23]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

THRobinson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
Well, question was more if the ODBII plugs into the same port, maybe there is another app I can download that will do that.

If everything plugs into that port, and it's the software's capability that determines what it can do, then there could be an app for android or even my laptop available. I doubt a DRBIII is a more powerful computer than a cell phone or laptop.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
thread cleaned up. Lets keep it civil and on topic please

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Hmm, well it looks like it's going to be a bit more expensive than I thought for the capability. I guess I'm just gonna have to try to make sure air doesn't get into the damned thing. Maybe I can find a line diagram somewhere and bend the lines without having to remove the old ones to use as a template and then quickly swap them.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How much line do you need to replace? Generally you don't need to bleed the ABS pump unless you let the system empty out. The pump is up front not far from the master cylinder, as long as there is fluid upstream and some downstream air won't get into it.

OP
OP
Yeret

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I gotta replace 'em all. The rear one's rotted out and the others don't look far behind. I'm actually planning on selling this if I can get a good price and I don't want to send something down the road with questionable brakes...

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Then bleed each corner as best you can starting with furthest away from the MC, then you'll have to take it to a dealer, unless you can find a cheaper shop that actually has the right computer (most don't).

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Probably at least the one hour's labor minimum. Have to find out how much that is for yourself, will directly depend on where you take it.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Assuming you keep the system clean and your work is sound (no leaks, pinches, sticking slides etc and you do you best to keep and get as much air out as possible it shouldn't take an hour to do it. Just the hour minimum charge that most shops have. I'm not certain, but I would think most brake shops would have the tools required to do it. Nowadays everything is abs. Pretty hard to run a brake shop and have to send vehicles out for brake bleeding.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Assuming you keep the system clean and your work is sound (no leaks, pinches, sticking slides etc and you do you best to keep and get as much air out as possible it shouldn't take an hour to do it. Just the hour minimum charge that most shops have. I'm not certain, but I would think most brake shops would have the tools required to do it. Nowadays everything is abs. Pretty hard to run a brake shop and have to send vehicles out for brake bleeding.

For general brake bleeding (caliper replacement, etc) it isn't necessary, but if you empty out the system you have to have the right software to cycle the pump (or go out and trip it lol). Can't see a run of the mill brake shop buying a computer for every make out there, that would get really expensive really quick.