Torque converter wont unlock when slowing down. . . . Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
First, I have no codes what so ever.

So, my torque converter will lock and unlock just fine when driving, accelerating, coasting, and accelerating it works flawless.

However, when I'm cruising along and the TC locks up and then I come to a stop the converter tries to stay locked until it stalls and then unlocks.

If I hit the gas when slowing down it will unlock and stay unlocked.

I have changed the TPS 3 times as the first 2 were bad.
The first TPS went bad completely.
The second tps read 14% to 15.5% throttle, and was very inconsistent. MY torque converter would always stay locked when coming to a stop after lockup.
The third TPS was great for the first 100 miles, read 13.7 consistantly. Now its all over the place. 13.3 to 18%, I freaking HATE PARTS STORE CRAP!!! Torque converter will only unlock sometimes. . . .

I'm going to go play around with the TPS some and see what I can find but has anyone had this issue before?

The Torque converter is new and all fluid is new. I had this same issue with the old TC.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Yeret

The Village Drunk
Reaction score
Under the hood fixing/breaking something.
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
What brand of TPS are you using now?

I replaced my OEM unit with a Borg Warner unit last year. After a few months, my truck suddenly developed a high-idle problem where the engine would randomly hold a 1,000-1,200 RPM idle even when it was hot. Eventually, the engine would almost always hold this high idle.

Plugging in my Innova scanner, I found that the TPS was "sticking" at ~13% (maybe more, not sure of the exact value) with light throttle and only changed with more throttle. I spend $80 for a genuine OEM unit and a few months later the problem remains resolved.

I've never had an issue with a Borg Warner part until this. I'm somewhat sour over the whole deal. As of now, I'm not going to replace my electronics with anything other than genuine OEM.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Idle should be about 14%, wide open about 75%.

Oem unit is a good place to start as well as resetting the whole system to go through the proper relearn at the same time

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
When I thought I was having transmission issues it ended up being the TPS. Once I replaced it all of the symptoms disappeared.

OP
OP
M

Max78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
The TPS is BWD from O'rielly which from what i have read is the same as borg warner, I called the dealer and they had one in town for the low low price of $180! $120 with company account. . .

I got the part number from the dealer and will be getting a new MOPAR sensor from Rockauto for $80. . . .

Tired of this cheap ass parts store junk!

I have reset the Computer in the truck a couple of times to make sure it wasn't something else, but my scanner is showing no throttle is 14%, full throttle is 75%, and it returns to 15.5% . . . . Each throttle application leaves it at a different value, rarely does it return back to its original value.

Thanks for the info!