Torsion Keys and Adjustable Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VolsRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'm needing to get new tires soon, and would like to upgrade my wheels and tires to be more aggressive. I want to level the front end to fit the larger tire, but I'm not very familiar with torsion bars. I know I can get keys to level the front end, and I know on 4th gen Rams you can get Bilstein 5100s and adjust the shock to level the front. My questions are (1) can I get by with doing one or the other to level my front end or (2) do I need to do both?

Gray ram 2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'm needing to get new tires soon, and would like to upgrade my wheels and tires to be more aggressive. I want to level the front end to fit the larger tire, but I'm not very familiar with torsion bars. I know I can get keys to level the front end, and I know on 4th gen Rams you can get Bilstein 5100s and adjust the shock to level the front. My questions are (1) can I get by with doing one or the other to level my front end or (2) do I need to do both?

I just did the keys. They clear 33x12.50 20ds just fine

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just crank the bolts up about 8 complete turns. Lift the truck up to take the weight off the tires, spray some lubricant on the bolts and crank them 8 turns. It’s about 2” of free lift. The keys do essentially the same thing, just the bolts aren’t tightened in as far. I’ve had mine up for over a year and no issues

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
What bolts................?

In the crossmember that holds the torsion bar keys, there is a bolt that holds the torsion key into place. By tightening that bolt it raises the end of the torsion key, which twists the torsion bar further, which raises the front suspension. 3c61ebeba77fea38175bb0bd14aaaa7b.jpg

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Torsion lift keys you can buy basically come pre-adjusted so you don’t have to tighten the screw to get the desired lift. But you will have to rent or buy a special tool to unload the torsion bar, remove and change out the keys, then reload the tension with the clamp tool to reinstall the adjustment screw.
To use your existing key just jack the truck up, tighten the bolts 8 turns, lower the truck and measure the difference. It’s way easier, cheaper and yields the same results

MarkV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum V8 NOW with Moose Power
I did this to my truck. No problems in 2 years.

Captain Freon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 4.7
Torsion lift keys you can buy basically come pre-adjusted so you don’t have to tighten the screw to get the desired lift. But you will have to rent or buy a special tool to unload the torsion bar, remove and change out the keys, then reload the tension with the clamp tool to reinstall the adjustment screw.
To use your existing key just jack the truck up, tighten the bolts 8 turns, lower the truck and measure the difference. It’s way easier, cheaper and yields the same results

Thanx for the tutoring, bud!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Do the 6+ still have torsion bars? I thought they changed to coil overs in the front? No?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Do the 6+ still have torsion bars? I thought they changed to coil overs in the front? No?

I’m not really sure what year they actually switched the suspension. My buddy’s 08 had coilover’s.

VintageSpeed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just crank the bolts up about 8 complete turns. Lift the truck up to take the weight off the tires, spray some lubricant on the bolts and crank them 8 turns. It’s about 2” of free lift. The keys do essentially the same thing, just the bolts aren’t tightened in as far. I’ve had mine up for over a year and no issues

Can I adjust this on my '03 RWD Hemi Ram? It's different on the 4x4's, right?

I want some more tire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not really sure what year they actually switched the suspension. My buddy’s 08 had coilover’s.

06 would be the first year of coil overs.

I want some more tire

If I recall the 2wd are a coil over, so you’d need lift coils.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I want some more tire
No, you cannot. Only 4 wheel drive trucks have torsion bar front suspension.
You would need either coil spacers (Boo), Lift Coils (still kinda boo) or Spindles (Least boo). Largely depends how high ya wanna go.

That 57 hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Okay I’m in a little different boat here, I’m looking at getting 7 inches without a body lift.... if I buy new keys just to be new and crank them up 2 inches while having a 5 inch lift will this give me 7 in the front ??? For the back I would add a spring or two and a 3-5 inch block... would this be possible?

2016Bighorny

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I cranked up the bolts on my old 2003... looked great and level.
I had zero issues while I had that truck...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam