Torsion lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will either put a 4.5" suspensions lift, block/torsion key lift with a 3" body lift on my truck eventually. But for now I wanted to try just cranking the torsion bar preload bolts. I forgot to measure the ride hight beforehand, but turned the bolts 3 turns and now the front sits at 37.5" (ground to top of the fender well). Its not too much rougher at all, but Im noticing a few new squeaks, is this something anyone else has noticed? Also would a key allow it to sit higher but keep the factory ride, or would it just allow more adjustment?

And would someone know the ride height stock? I recorded the length of the bolts so I can put it back, but Id still like to know how much height I gained without having to do that. Thank you

Edit: Im running the stock tire size if that matters to anyone (SLT 17" rims)

Tyy1907

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 magnum
As I recall 1 turn gives 1/4" of lift. I turned mine till there was bout 3 threads sticking out. It does stiffen things up but if you're due for new shocks they help some.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No telling where you were when you started, you can measure 10 trucks and get 10 different measurements.

Mine cranked 1.5 inches. Best way to measure is from the bottom of the RIM to the fender well, takes tire wear and tire pressure out of the equation. Mine didn't squeak and the ride is better IMO. No squeaking, you have other problems if it is squeaking.

OP
OP
A

adam98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So Im beginning to think that the previous owners may have done this already. It has aftermarket bags in the rear, so maybe it would make sense to keep it somewhat level, I just didnt notice because it is still raked. But the rear sits as high as my friends 1 tonne Cummins, so that would be a plausible explanation. I turned it back down 4 turns and it only lowered it 1/2 an inch (even after letting it settle for a couple days), and all of the squeaks are gone, Im going to look into that though, I just replaced the ball joints and tie rods on the right side, may have to do it on the right as well. This has been a fun adventure in not really accomplishing anything, but
thank you for the help.

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I know this is an old thread but did anyone get a alignment after changing the torsion bars?
I have heard else where that an alignment is a must but I have also heard of people getting no difference in their tread or ride.
Planning on doing it this weekend

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I know this is an old thread but did anyone get a alignment after changing the torsion bars?
I have heard else where that an alignment is a must but I have also heard of people getting no difference in their tread or ride.
Planning on doing it this weekend

Yes you need an alignment since you’re changing the angle of the lower control arms

I Bleed Ram Trucks

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Will raising the torsion bar without an alignment cause wear on the inside or outside of the tire?

I would guess on the outside, since it’s basically rotating the control arms down, it would be making the outside of the tire have more contact with the road

I Bleed Ram Trucks

adamh3844

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l
I would guess on the outside, since it’s basically rotating the control arms down, it would be making the outside of the tire have more contact with the road

I Bleed Ram Trucks
Found this on another forum. Seems logical. I have tires with outside wear so was thinking if I raise it about an inch or 2 would even tire out or at least even camber
475873.jpg