Torx bolts on front driveshaft...really??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I did some preliminary work to change the front driveshaft u-joints on my 05 Power Wagon and saw that Dodge put Torx bolts on the driveshaft at the axle??? What's up with that?? I have very little success with Torx bolts.

Any advice on removing them would be appreciated.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Those things are a PITA, I guess IdI try some penetrating oil and heating them up with a propane torch first.

FYI when I tried to replace the rear driveshaft U-joint on my '06 I couldn't get the darn thing out. I didn't know that the factory installs them with a plastic ring and need to be heated up to get the plastic to melt. After pounding on the thing for an hour I gave up and took the driveshaft into the dealership.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd hit it with an impact after soaking them. I've had bad luck stripping torx bolts with ratchets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the replies. I checked with the local dealer and they only charge a half-hour to remove it. I think it will be a better choice just to get them to remove.

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Those things are a PITA, I guess IdI try some penetrating oil and heating them up with a propane torch first.

FYI when I tried to replace the rear driveshaft U-joint on my '06 I couldn't get the darn thing out. I didn't know that the factory installs them with a plastic ring and need to be heated up to get the plastic to melt. After pounding on the thing for an hour I gave up and took the driveshaft into the dealership.
You're kidding right? They not only use the clips but plastic weld the inside? I've been smacking the **** out if my u-joints the last couple of days and they wouldn't budge

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got the driveshaft taken off...1/2 hour at the dealer and its done!!

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
You're kidding right? They not only use the clips but plastic weld the inside? I've been smacking the **** out if my u-joints the last couple of days and they wouldn't budge

Yep, that was a new one for me. Were you able to get 'em out?

Ian_Olivas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L Magnum
Yep, that was a new one for me. Were you able to get 'em out?
Yes after I took a second look at the yoke I didn't notice any pin holes for plastic rings. So I put a ujoint press on it and hit it with my impact gun and it came out right out. Took like 15 min to do both ujoints