Tossin ideas around.... v.prerunner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
been thinkin about getting rid of the drop. finding fiberglass bedssand some
17" cragar soft 8 rims, undecided on type of tires, looking for a good mud terrain but also handles good on pavement...(maybe save the 20s and street tires?)

Electrical, and enteri
  1. Have taff draw up a badass center console, able to hold a cb receiver, storm warning radio, and efficent cup holder
  2. 3 gauge pillar pod, with AFR, trans temp, and voltage
  3. two extara batteries in said toolbox able to run all th equipment
  4. A master switch panel moldedi into the a fiberglass custom switch psnel, one for the door switchs and another" toggle switch setup to control all the lights

bumpers/protection

1. Full replacement baja style bumper, custom bent etc, place to mount a winch along with enough room to mount lots of lights.
  2. Rear bumper would be a simple heavy duty metal bumper with dedicated bullring recovery points.
  3. Possibly fab skid plates for some parts later on

Lighting
  1. At least 4 huge driing lights/spotlight 'esqe lights on the front tube bumper, (ive been looking for a certain "strip lighting" )that would go great on the bottom of one rail to have a nice flood effect when outside in the dark and needed to work.
  2. HIDs all around.
  3. The front bumper would also be designed with 4 mount mounting pinnacles in place.
  4. Been tossin the idea of a few different model lights in the bed and mounted on the tool box, mainly to offer light behind the truck in case repairs need to be made
  5. Strobe/emergency whelen hidden lightbars for saftey, not for street use etc.?(just a cool idea)
  6. Strip lighting in under the bed caps to light bed interior uo

Exterior
  1. First and foremost i would find a set of front flared "Glass fenders" either 02-05 models or 06-08 model and just do a front conversion
  2. Rear would be flared bedsides, i believe the same company that does "glass fender can make flared bedsides.
  3. Also would remove the tailgate, add a spare tire rack carrier like fabtech carries, along with various supplys.
  4. Not %100 on this idea yet, but ill throw it out, what about finding a used or custom made gas tank? mounted in front of the bed bolted down and not moving, maybe under neath the toolbox?
  5. Toolbox,whichever im not picky just needs locking latches and good room, also yall know that space below the toolbox some boxes have when they are installed? maybe have a 5-20 gallon tank made to mount underneath??

Suspension

1. At the moment i am looking for a 3-4 suspension lift kit.
  2. Maybe go with a spacer up fron fo the time being.
  3. GOOD shocks bilsteins etc
  4. Flex straps
  5. Might replace rear leafs, with junkyard leafs.
  6. Later on i want to either piece together a really good setup, resevoir shocks (kind,fox)
  7. Then replace the springs up front with carli or thuren springs

Performance

Current mods
  1. Comp 260 cam
  2. Pacesetter longtubes
  3. custom exhaust (LTs,h pipe,dual dynomax race bullets, manual cutouts)
  4. Intake
  5. Superchips tuning.

Mods coming-
  1. 4.56 gears
  2. Detroit Tru Trac
  3. Stage 3 valve body
  4. Shift kit

Later on

1. Electric black magic fan
  2. 180 thermoostat
  3. New mufflers/exhaust,
  4. Electric cutouts.

Wheels

1. Cragar soft 8s or a similar K.I.S.S ( keep it stupid simple) rims

Tires

1. Unsure on what tires I ant to I still have to do some research, The truck wont be a Strict mud truck.
  2. It will see most everything else, to get to the deer lease,trail riding, etc
  3. Im leaning towards either BF Goodrich k/o tires or toyo all terain or mud terrains
  4. Im still coming up with a "supply category, IE: solar blanket,clothing,cold weather gear,hunting rifle,pistl and tools/recovery equiment.

Questions:

1. Am I missing anything?
  2. What would you change?

Also please posts any reference material,links,photos,deas you din

P.S. I write alot when im high off my medicines lol. Chime in yalll, and let me know what yall think of my plans???

Last edited:

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Weren't you lifted before? Sounds cool though, you got the money do it man.

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Weren't you lifted before? Sounds cool though, you got the money do it man.

Wish i had the money lol, i work retail haha. But i have insurance from walmart then progressive to pay for nt truck to get fixed so i might have some left over.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If you get those BFG mud terrains, stay on top of tire rotations. They're bad about cupping if you dont

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
a 4th gen would have had payments around 550-600 a month for the model i wanted compared to 261 i pay now.....

Sent from a bauce ass phone

Oefootball_70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, there are 5x5.5 17 inch version of them. I almost bought them.

I think it all sounds awesome, expensive but awesome.

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
the glass beds would be the mosr expensive and the bumpers would prob cost a bit too to have them custom made...lighting a close second.

hence me looking to get sponsors lololol ;)

Sent from a bauce ass phone

mitchman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It sounds awesome. I love prerunners and if I keep this truck till it's paid off I will be getting bored by that time and would love to do a very similar setup.

Things I would change:

1: Rather than run a M/T on a pre-runner style truck, I would look first into getting BFG Projects (I think they are stupid expensive), and if those didn't pan out I would get Yoko's. I've heard a lot of good things about them from the desert guys (2500's) and they are well priced

Projects (baja): Shop for Off-Road Tires | BFGoodrich Tires

Yokos: Yokohama Tires

2: I would look into having a custom rollbar made for the bed. Not like a cheesy Walker Texas ranger style, but one made from actual tubing that would protect the truck in the event of a roll over, and I would make it long into the bed and try to incorporate the spare tire carrier, the reverse lighting, and some type of bed supports so the bedsides don't flex due to the lack of a tailgate. Basically, it would be like the back half of the rollcage in a actual pre-runner, just to save the hassle of going into the cab.

3: Don't think I'd mess with the fuel tank. Unless I was switching to a cell.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Good plan ... go for it man

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It sounds awesome. I love prerunners and if I keep this truck till it's paid off I will be getting bored by that time and would love to do a very similar setup.

Things I would change:

1: Rather than run a M/T on a pre-runner style truck, I would look first into getting BFG Projects (I think they are stupid expensive), and if those didn't pan out I would get Yoko's. I've heard a lot of good things about them from the desert guys (2500's) and they are well priced

Projects (baja): Shop for Off-Road Tires | BFGoodrich Tires

Yokos: Yokohama Tires

2: I would look into having a custom rollbar made for the bed. Not like a cheesy Walker Texas ranger style, but one made from actual tubing that would protect the truck in the event of a roll over, and I would make it long into the bed and try to incorporate the spare tire carrier, the reverse lighting, and some type of bed supports so the bedsides don't flex due to the lack of a tailgate. Basically, it would be like the back half of the rollcage in a actual pre-runner, just to save the hassle of going into the cab.

3: Don't think I'd mess with the fuel tank. Unless I was switching to a cell.
Im not going to move the fuel tank if anything ill mount some skidplates to it and add a bigger more efficient fuel pump. I was referring to fueling in my main post of "adding" a spare tank, somewhere out of the way and not where the weight of the extra gas will comprimise the truck.

the bed supports is something i was thinking about today also, i have seen a few diesel guys out in new mexico,arizona etc do a support brace deal. One guy runs a fabtech tire mount, that replaces the tailgate. He has metal tubing welded up under the bed along the edges then down effectively making it unable for the bed to sway and move...

Im going to start compiling pictures and start more in depth research, like talking to custom shops on sponsoring parts of the build,paint work, wiring etc.... I have a feeling it wont be too horribly expensive besides,the glass fenders,and maybe welding/metal fab.

OP
OP
pavester

pavester

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
okay, this is my ideal stance for the truck. Maybe a inch higher with a set of meaty,knobby tires.

24066_404803994281_643019281_4994656_4397123_n.jpg

24066_404803999281_643019281_4994657_732840_n.jpg

24066_404804004281_643019281_4994658_773035_n.jpg