Touch screen problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay guys I need some input. My 13' Sport with the big touchscreen is acting super glitchy. So hears the run down. I purchased the truck, then took it to a audio place and had a Viper alarm, and a JL sub and amp to replace the under seat speaker. Sounds really good. The Viper gave me some problems at first, but after pulling the fuse, seems to work just fine. The Radio on the other hand grrr, is not. So while driving and listening to XM, or the local radio, OR through bluetooth, the radio wil switch between media platforms. So ive tried turning off the bluetooth, unplugging all other cords from the middle console, and it still does it. I thought it was just the XM going in and out, but like i said it happens no matter what im using to get the music from. It seems like it was doing that before the alarm and amp install, but its hard to remember cause i only drove it a couple of days before i took it in.Also the usb plug seems to have to be unplugged and plugged back in after every time i turn the truck off and get back in. So is this from the amp and sub install, or is anyone else experiencing this?

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine has some glitches too. I usually don't use the Bluetooth phone feature, and several times when I have the radio on mute for a phone call it will repeatedly unmute itself. Pretty annoying. Several times it has switched from FM to SD card on its own, usually shortly after the truck has been started.

Hoping an update in the near future will fix the issues.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the 8.4" Uconnect RA3 in mine, and fortunately it's been pretty problem free so far. The only thing I've noticed with mine is that when I'm listening to XM, ocassionally the station and name of the song/artist will freeze and not change along when the song changes. As for the media platform randomly changing...I'm sure this isn't what's happening but figured I'd just ask to rule out all possibilities...is it possible that you might accidentally be changing the media platform by hitting the button on the back of the steering wheel? Because the first couple days I had my Ram, I kept accidentally hitting that button and causing the Uconnect to switch from XM to iPod or bluetooth, etc.

Just my 2 cents. But I hope you get it figured out man because it's a great system when it works correctly.

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I don't think that's it. I have the steering wheel controls in my other ram so I'm pretty used to them. I really think its from the amp install. It's so frustrating I can't even listen to the radio.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No I don't think that's it. I have the steering wheel controls in my other ram so I'm pretty used to them. I really think its from the amp install. It's so frustrating I can't even listen to the radio.

Damn I'm sorry to hear that man. I guess the best thing to do would be take it back to the place that did the amp install and see if maybe they can figure out the issue. Maybe they installed it wrong or something? Because I can't imagine that just a regular amp install done correctly would cause that problem.

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I'm guessing its a radio software issue dude. My audio system (8.4A) is bone stock and I have similar issues with source switching. I wondered if I'd accidentally hit the steering wheel controls too, but it's happened several times when my hands were no where near the audio controls. The 2013 steering wheel buttons take a much more deliberate push than my 2011's buttons too.

There's another thread on here with a link to the uconnect update site, maybe there's an update for yours.

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll look for that thread. Yeah it happened when I was tailgating at a concert Saturday and no one was even in the truck. And an amp should just plug right in, they shouldn't have to splice anything that I know of...

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Here's the link to the update site. Says none are available for mine, hopefully they get one soon.

Uconnect Update

I wouldn't think the amp would affect anything unless they somehow loosened connections behind the unit...

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Here's the link to the update site. Says none are available for mine, hopefully they get one soon.

Uconnect Update

I wouldn't think the amp would affect anything unless they somehow loosened connections behind the unit...

Yea I think you're right. They could have just botched the install. Thanks for posting that link by the way...I'm gonna use that when I get home later to do my update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mikey0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I did not read all the responses here but, I am having the same issue with my 2013 Ram with the 8.4 A touchscreen. The dealer has replaced the head unit already because of a code it kicked the first time I brought it to them. It is still doing the same things. I am currently waiting for the dealer to be able to download another update from Chrysler, and they are going to test it on another truck before wasting my time trying it on mine. I am good friends with the foreman at the dealership and apparently this is a known issue that the tech geeks are scrambling to correct.

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So... Yesterday I discovered what might be the cause of the source switching, at least on my truck.

I went to grab something from the center storage console and when I shut the lid, it switched from SD card to radio. Found out that if you hit the armrest it will switch to radio every time. Loose connection maybe? I know the previous times weren't all from shutting the console or other impacts, maybe the vibration of the Diesel engine is enough to create the same issue...just a theory.

I'll try replicating this with XM on, and maybe with phone plugged into USB also, and report back.

Hope the update worked for you guys. If you think of it, go into "settings"' then find the software version and post up the version info.

OP
OP
generaljenkins

generaljenkins

Reaction score
Ram Year
08/13
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, I felt like it switched a couple times when I shut the center lid. Also, I was tailgating at Carolina Rebellion Saturday, and it seemd like everytime someone would shut one if the doors, it would switch....And that would make sense as to why my USB iPhone charger has to be unplugged and plugged back in every time I get out of the rruck(hense slamming the door) We may be on to something Sherlock...

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
That must be it! I tested it with my iPhone hooked up via USB and it did the same thing. Didn't do it with XM so that tells me there's a connection issue, or the design of the console interface is bad.

Is anyone other than GeneralJenkins and I able to replicate this on their truck? I wonder if all trucks have this issue. For what it's worth, I have the bench seat with fold down armrest.

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
HAHAHA... That's too funny! Well, there IS a definite plus to getting your truck a little later and letting everyone else suss the issues.

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
That must be it! I tested it with my iPhone hooked up via USB and it did the same thing. Didn't do it with XM so that tells me there's a connection issue, or the design of the console interface is bad.

Is anyone other than GeneralJenkins and I able to replicate this on their truck? I wonder if all trucks have this issue. For what it's worth, I have the bench seat with fold down armrest.

I also have the bucket seats up front with the fold down middle arm rest. I was driving down the highway the other day with the iPod connected to the usb port inside the arm rest and the radio suddenly switched from the iPod to XM. I opened up the lid and checked my iPod and it had been turned off somewhow...so I don't know if maybe this is related. I don't think I had just hit the arm rest or anything, but then again it's not something I always check to see if I'm doing so I very well may have. This could be a fluke that's common in all the trucks with the bench seats and 8.4" systems I guess. Although hopefully it isn't.

I haven't had any other problems except for that one instance though.
HAHAHA... That's too funny! Well, there IS a definite plus to getting your truck a little later and letting everyone else suss the issues.

Hahah and Chris, there you go. Looking at the bright side of the delay in your order...I like it.

mtday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine is going to the dealer Saturday to figure out the radio issue and a couple other things. I'll report back when they have a solution. Hopefully they can figure it out because it seems to be getting worse