Tough starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlockTrucks

Reaction score
Ram Year
1989 , 1990 , 2003
Engine
360 magnum, CTD, CTD
my 2003 common rail takes too long to start, ive compared it to other trucks of the same era and its about 2-3 times as long as it should be, the longer the truck sits (over 4 days) the harder it is to start (15-20 seconds of cranking) it does it when the engine is hot and when it is cold, aswell as when the air tempature is hot or cold, i have tried cycling the key 3 or 4 times to try and build fuel pressure but it does the same thing. i can run the truck, turn it off and immedietly crank it over again and it takes just as long.
i have replaced the starter, both batteries, flow tested all the injectors and they are good, and replaced the check valve on the top of the rail coming from the high pressure pump

has anyone seen this before or have any ideas of what could be happening? ive heard maybe a crank position sensor or a cam position sensor?

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Have you compression tested theengine and do you have anyway to see what your fuel rail pressure is?