Tow haul mode on all the time?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I read correctly, the Dodge manual recommends using Tow Haul mode only when the situation demands it. If my truck is happy towing our camper (especially if no bad hills are encountered), should I keep it off until needed? I've always towed the camper with the Tow Haul mode engaged the entire trip. Thoughts?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can leave it in tow/haul mode all the time when towing. It's better for the trans that way

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
what ^^^ he ^^^^ said. Run it full time when you are towing, turn it off when you aren't.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I turn mine off on long flat stretches, it enables it to drop into 5th gear easier.. as long as its easily pulling 5th I don't worry about it, once it starts shifting again or getting into hills, back into tow haul mode.

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I turn mine off on long flat stretches, it enables it to drop into 5th gear easier.. as long as its easily pulling 5th I don't worry about it, once it starts shifting again or getting into hills, back into tow haul mode.

That's exactly how I tow with mine. Its almost impossible to get 5th gear in tow/haul but if conditions are right I will take it out of tow mode.

Madnsick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
?
I have a Dodge Ram 2003 2500.
Do i have a tow haul mode?

KSH

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 1500
Engine
EcoDiesel
I think it just locks out the top gear and keeps the transmission from hunting. I always kept mine off except for hills, mountains.

OP
OP
Crazyro

Crazyro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think it just locks out the top gear and keeps the transmission from hunting. I always kept mine off except for hills, mountains.

Now, I was told that Tow Haul mode also helps with braking. Is there any truth to that? I usually keep mine on at all times, but wonder if on flat stretches I can turn it off...

Camp seems to be divided on this one.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Now, I was told that Tow Haul mode also helps with braking. Is there any truth to that? I usually keep mine on at all times, but wonder if on flat stretches I can turn it off...

Camp seems to be divided on this one.

On some of the diesels, in tow/haul mode when you let off the throttle it will downshift to the lowest gear as sort of an engine brake and it does help. Not as much as the exhaust brake, but it does help. On the gas trucks though, tow/haul does not help with braking. There just isn't enough compression on a gas motor to make it very effective at engine braking.

FullForceRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi 2WD Quad Cab
Crazyro:
When the vehicle is left on "Tow/Haul" mode with the auto trans, when going downhill and your truck is engaged on "Cruise control" is DOES NOT apply brakes, rather it uses what little engine compression it has to slow the vehicle (to a certain extent) and maintain the speed you were on.. I've witnessed this several times on my rig when in cruise control and in tow/haul mode going down hill, then when it levels off it resumes normal cruise.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I always kept mine off except for hills, mountains.

Tow/haul mode is essentially just an extra gear like over drive, both one in the same. It is supposed to be turned off when towing so the trany doesn't search gears but if not towing, then you should keep it activated, Unless your hills/mountains are more than a 5% grade and miles long.

For my truck that's how it's supposed to work but others may disagree.

Last edited:

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That's exactly how I tow with mine. Its almost impossible to get 5th gear in tow/haul but if conditions are right I will take it out of tow mode.

The purpose of the tow/haul mode is to keep the trans. from shifting into overdrive, 6th gear in a 6 speed tranny, which allows the trans. to better handle the load, and keeps the tranny from overheating, which will kill these transmissions.

Harley Harrold

USAF Ret. 36+ years service
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Another piece of information, dealing with tow/haul mode, if you are running, say around 45 to 50 mph, and you decide to floor it to pass a slower driver, tow/haul mode can save damage to the transmission, if it was to shift down twice, going into 2nd prime. I found this out after I tried to pass a slower truck on the Interstate Highway, I had to buy a remanufactured tranny. Mine downshifted into 2nd prime, destroying 4th gear, 4th gear clutches, and the overdrive clutches. I now know to press that little button one time, just before flooring the gas pedal, now passing is a breeze.