Towin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I already mentioned tire ratings several times... if you are under your tire ratings you are fine.

So the weight you register your truck at negates the manufacturer's rating on the truck, but not the manufacturer's rating on the tires ? Hmmm interesting.

So if I get in a wreck because I overloaded my truck ( per manufacturers gvwr) and the axle breaks but I'm under the registration weight, can I sue the state for damages? I mean, they said I could hual it and it would be ok ,right.

Last edited:

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Joe... I have asked many times for you to cite the law that would be broken in Texas. You refuse to do that. Until you can provide the language of the law being broken, I'm not going to keep repeating myself to you. Be as snarky as you want to be, but that doesn't change the facts.

A registration is indeed a tax. All the police can do is cite you for driving too heavy down the road and not paying an appropriate tax for that privilege.

You can sue anyone for anything you want, that is the great/horrible thing about this country. At the end of the day though, you are responsible for your decisions. That guy in your photo could legally register his vehicle for 12,000 lbs and legally drive down the road grossly overloaded. The state isn't certifying that his vehicle is SAFE to do so, only legal to do so. If he loads his vehicle down and kills someone, that is HIS fault. You live in Texas, you can carry a gun if you want to. If you aren't safe in how you handle it, you could shoot yourself in the foot. Can you sue Texas for allowing you the privilege of shooting yourself in the foot, or do you have some personal and legal responsibility to carry the gun safely? Same thing with a motor vehicle.

I've already explained to you why my Ram 2500 has been certified to carry 12,000 lbs. I could legally register it to 12,000 lbs and cruise down the road and there is absolutely nothing that the police can do about it... unless of course you can find me a specific violation in Texas (which I've been asking in multiple posts thus far). Heck, I can register to 15,000 lbs and cruise down the road, there is nothing that they can do. At 12,000 lbs I am comfortable with the ability to safely drive my truck... at 15,000 lbs I am not comfortable. While both are legal, there needs to be some common sense behind it. It would be easy for me to argue why I felt 12,000 was reasonable, it would be very difficult to explain why 15,000 was reasonable.

If you wish to continue our discussion, I'm going to need to see some factual basis for your claim, rather than an emotional response based upon feelings.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This is wrong! My 2102 SRW 6.7L has a tow rating of 17,000lbs

Hard to tell what the 2102 models will be rated at, too far away to guess, but the 2012 2500’s were only rated at 13k.

Actually according to this his is only rated to 9,650.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/pdf/RAM.2500.3500.Towing.Specs.pdf

His GCWR is only 17k.

After looking over the link I posted, my original statement could be taken as wrong, not enough info on my dads truck to show full tow rating. But, even the most capable 2500 in 2012 was rated at 15.5k (2wd, 4:10 gears, long bed, reg cab).

Last edited:

Joes1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like I said several posts ago we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

I will continue to believe what I have said and seen until anyone can prove it otherwise, just as you.

But a couple points to think about .

You say the police can't wright you a ticket for being over the manufacturer's rating on the truck , but yet they can for being over the manufacturer's rating on the tires. This just seems really odd to me that it is legal to ignor one but not the other.

Comparing this to owning a gun is not even close. In order for me to have a hand gun and a carry permit I have to have background checks . This is to relatively assume that I am safe and responsible enough to have both. Even though it is a right, but that is a different subject.

The state does nothing to assume the safety of either the owner of the vehicle or anyone else when they sell you a piece of paper saying you can travel down there road carrying up to a certain weight.

As I said before next time I see a ticket for this I will take pictures and share. And next time I see something like what I saw at the truck stop yesterday I will try to ask the officer for specifics.

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think we will have to agree that I am quoting laws and you are posting opinion. Until you have more to offer than opinion, I think this conversation has run its course.