Towing 20' Trailer...Bouncing Like Crazy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

madrock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi guys,

I usually tow my ATV on my single axle 8x10 utility trailer without any issue. I just picked up a 4-seater RZR and rented a dual axle 20' trailer to tow both of them. Towing it empty on the freeway between 50 and 70 mph, I was bouncing everywhere inside my cab. I presume it will be better once I have the trailer loaded, but causes this? Flat spots on the trailer tires?

I have ~7,000 miles on my extended rear shocks that came with my Zone 6 lift kit. Both sway bars are still connected with the end links in good condition. The tires in my sig have ~7,000 miles on them too. Would air bags help?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the tires on the trailer- Make sure one is not out of round- even empty it shouldn’t dictate the ride very much.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Any time I've had an empty trailer, they bounce

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Vibrations travel? :)

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before we moved recently I dragged a double axle 18 or 20 ft Carson trailer to town empty and it shook the **** outta my truck- No way a empty trailer rocks my 2500 that way “ yes I know he is in a half ton and I am in a 3/4 ton- in my mirror I could see the tire wobbling- “ the tire was out of round” - got it swapped drove home and couldn’t even tell it was back there. OP- make sure you are using a drop hitch and have that trailer as close to lvl as you can get it.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Don’t know what kind of trailer you have (specifically the type of ramps on the back) but anytime we haul my dads trailer empty we have to take the ramps off the back and strap them down to the bed. Makes a huge difference on how it travels.

Ghetto Fab.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CUMMINS!
Yes, empty trailers cause a lot of bounce to be transmitted to the tow vehicle. The heavier the trailer and lighter the tow vehicle the worse it is. It's totally different loaded with some tongue weight.

Kevin

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
It all depends on how the trailer is balanced. Some manufactures build trailers way better than others. We use to have a 18 ft big tex equipment hauler and that thing pulled awesome. We now have a local manufactured 18ft pipe top equipment hauler and it bounces you all over the place empty. It's nice for 1/2 ton because it's a little lighter on the tounge but it's pretty ruff empty. All trailers pulled smoother loaded up. That's assuming they are loaded proper and not overloaded.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As mentioned earlier, levelling the trailer is very important

hounddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 laramie 2500 credit cab 4x4 cummins
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Most common issues for bounce:
~Overloaded trailer tires. Manufacturers get the cheapest crap rubber then can. Change to 10ply
~Overloaded trailer springs. Upgrade springs or get Joy Rider shock/spring kit.
~Improper front to back loading. Trailers weren't intended to be pulled empty, engineers make them with loading in mind.
~Truck spring/shock aren't up to the task, front AND rear. Switch your shocks to a high quality brand/model
~Need anti-sway/stabilizer system added to hitch.
~Airbags like Airlift 1,000 5,000 and 8,000 may be needed to help control the weight.

I grew up on a big farm, my dad always said you either have a truck that gets good mileage or one that can tow. You can't have both.

That's still sorta true, not as much, but still sorta is. Spend some $$$ and get your truck set up properly to tow. If set up right your 1500 truck can (not legally or should you) 13,000 lb trailers.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I vote tongue weight, I have a single axle v cross vibe travel trailer(3,500 pounds) if I don't put enough tongue weight my truck bounces like a boat, my old truck(not a ram) did same thing. But my 05 Durango towing wasn't so picky, probably due to more weight in back being a suv or because I put bilsteins on it.