Towing a moderate load with the Pentastar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
Hi.

I have a 2016 1500 with the Pentastar and the default factory gear ratio. Overall I'm happy with the truck -- it's a daily driver with occasional run to the junk yard or similar.

I plan to buy a travel trailer for the summer of 2019 and before I order it (there's a 16 month wait list!), I'd like to know what I'm in for towing-wise.

The travel trailer is ~2000lb configured the way I want it. Obviously this is way under the maximum towing weight for my default gear ratio 1500. As well as being ultralight, the trailer is also more aerodynamic than most.

Any feedback on how the baby 1500 will handle under a moderate load? Specifically, accelerating to highway speed at on-ramps and what I can expect in the Rockies.

I would love a HEMI or an EcoDiesel, but divorce is expensive so it's not an option.

Thanks in advance.

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I've just been through this exercise. Extensively. I, too, have a '16 1500 Pentastar although I have the 3.55 gear option. You mentioned having the "default" gearing option, that would be the 3.21 gears. If you're sure you have the 3.21's your towing capacity is in the neighborhood of 4500lbs. While that sounds generous up against a 2k trailer, consider your trailer is likely going to come in from the factory a few pounds over whatever the brochure quotes. You also have to consider the "actual" weight of the trailer loaded. Dinnerware, food, propane, water in the holding tank, bedding, coach batteries, generator etc. According to the RVIA the average rv carries 600lbs while on the road.

The big thing to consider is GCWR. It adds up quick. Not sure what the GCWR is on trucks with 3.21's, but, mine is 12,900lbs. My truck weighs 5500lbs with me and a full tank of gas. If I add my wife and two grandkids, that's another 400lbs I added to the weight of my truck. Tongue weight of the trailer also has to be considered at approximately 15% of trailer weight. That comes out of the GVWR of the truck. In the end, from the research I've done, the sweet spot is typically 15-20% of GCWR loaded up. I'm not putting that out there to confuse the issue, just wanted to put out there some of what I came across when I was investigating trailers for the Pentastar. Hope this helps. And what trailer are you looking at that has a 16 month wait? That's a really long time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
I've just been through this exercise. Extensively. I, too, have a '16 1500 Pentastar although I have the 3.55 gear option. You mentioned having the "default" gearing option, that would be the 3.21 gears. If you're sure you have the 3.21's your towing capacity is in the neighborhood of 4500lbs. While that sounds generous up against a 2k trailer, consider your trailer is likely going to come in from the factory a few pounds over whatever the brochure quotes. You also have to consider the "actual" weight of the trailer loaded. Dinnerware, food, propane, water in the holding tank, bedding, coach batteries, generator etc. According to the RVIA the average rv carries 600lbs while on the road.

The big thing to consider is GCWR. It adds up quick. Not sure what the GCWR is on trucks with 3.21's, but, mine is 12,900lbs. My truck weighs 5500lbs with me and a full tank of gas. If I add my wife and two grandkids, that's another 400lbs I added to the weight of my truck. Tongue weight of the trailer also has to be considered at approximately 15% of trailer weight. That comes out of the GVWR of the truck. In the end, from the research I've done, the sweet spot is typically 15-20% of GCWR loaded up. I'm not putting that out there to confuse the issue, just wanted to put out there some of what I came across when I was investigating trailers for the Pentastar. Hope this helps. And what trailer are you looking at that has a 16 month wait? That's a really long time.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you for your reply.

I definitely have the 3.21s....I pulled the build sheet based on my VIN to check. I never thought I'd be towing :(

My GCWR is 9,850lbs (V6, 3.21 gears, 4x4). Trailer is 1,683lbs dry, but 1,925lb as we have it configured (they have a fancy calculator) , with a GVWR of 2,700lbs. They spec the trailer by the pound when you add options so I expect the weight to be very accurate -- It's a super light-weight trailer considering it's 17ft long :)

The trailer is incredibly popular right now and they're handmade in Quebec, so they can't ramp-up production until their new factory is built. Hence the lead-time. It's this one: Alto Travel trailers by Safari Condo

So...

GCWR 9850lbs
---
Truck 4921lbs
Configured trailer 1925lbs (DC31 marine battery, solar system, A/C)
Fresh water tank 130lbs
Propane 20lbs
Passengers 200+150+50lbs = 400lbs
Tank of gas 160lbs
Belongings 250lbs
---
TOTAL 7806lbs

So this is still 2K lbs below the GCWR, but I'm interested to know what she'll drive like. That said, in the user group for this trailer that I belong to, there're a whole bunch of people towing these successfully with Subaru Outback's -- I'd like to think even a "baby" RAM 1500 can do better :)

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Alto is a NICE little trailer. Especially the one with the retractable roof. Too pricey for me though.

Sounds like your setup will be fine, I don't think you'll have any issues with it.

I was looking at a '13 Tradesman with the 3.6. One of the issues was that it had the 3.21 gears, a while it felt good driving, I knew I wanted a travel trailer, and was a bit put off by the limited towing capacity. If I could have gotten a good deal on the truck, I might have sprung for a gear change, but the dealer didn't want to deal.

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
You should have no issues lugging that little trailer. The 8spd transmission will ensure you're always in the right gear.

Don't forget that your truck has the same GAWRs, brakes, etc. as a Tow Package rated 5.7L 3.92 and you only give up 100lbs of GVWR 6800 vs 6900.

OP
OP
G

geekything

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel 3.0L V6
You should have no issues lugging that little trailer. The 8spd transmission will ensure you're always in the right gear.

Don't forget that your truck has the same GAWRs, brakes, etc. as a Tow Package rated 5.7L 3.92 and you only give up 100lbs of GVWR 6800 vs 6900.

Thanks for the reassurance.
The Alto is a NICE little trailer. Especially the one with the retractable roof. Too pricey for me though.

It's a lovely trailer :) We're getting the one with the retractable roof. Sometimes you get what you pay for, and it's still cheaper than the Airstream (Airscream?) Basecamp.

Thanks everyone!

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Excellent call. Like I said, a bit too pricey for me, especially after buying the truck. I'm looking at something more like a Jayco Hummingbird or a Lance 15-16ft. My wife is partially disabled, so I need a little more room to move around in a trailer. We'll be buying used as well, the new ones get expensive quickly.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
you will be fine, i had an ultralight trailer about 6 years ago, it was a camper my dad bought and towed with a 1996 dodge ram reg cab v6, that truck had half of the power that these 3.6l motors have and it wasn't a problem on that truck, with the power of the 3.6 you should have no problems towing that

Tdjma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been through the same thing and Toad work trailers and everything else with the 321 gears and 34 inch tires it just ruins a gas mileage I'm planning on changing to the 391 gears

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk