Towing and hauling capacity question.

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Amastro46, Dec 27, 2016.

1. VernDiesel

VernDiesel Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    ED
    I suspect the BFGs will be fine. But I don't use AT tires as my truck isn't used off road.

When using my post as an example just get that the 2nd & 3rd paragraphs are required to make the first paragraph work.

2. Sandbox

Sandbox Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 HEMI
    Don't forget to add the tongue weight of the trailer into your payload. I don't know what the specs on your truck are but, my 2015 CC, SB 5.7 had a payload of 1450 and a towing capacity of 8k lbs. With the weights you were talking, a 10% tongue weight, people and gear, I'd been over my payload. I would transfer as much as I could to the trailer since it only weighs 2900lbs.

I use this http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/ alot. Over on the right side, there is a box labeled" Look up my Vehicle where you can enter your VIN.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  3. mtofell

mtofell Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 6.4
    This is worth repeating. Hanging a motorcycle off the back of the TT will likely lighten your tongue weight to a dangerous level. The whole tongue weight - payload thing is tough because you want the least tongue weight to stay within payload spec but the most to ensure for more stable towing (heavy tongue weight is among the reasons 5th wheels tow so much better than TTs for example).

Also, the standard bumpers on TTs could not come close to holding the weight of a motorcycle. I'm afraid to put a bicycle rack on mine.

As others have said you are close with what you list. Airbags are helpful and really make sure you have good tires that are inflated properly.

4. GsRAM

GsRAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi, 6.4L
    100% correct. I mentioned the TT bumper issue in my post as well. My TT has a spare tire mount on it, and I'd not want to put much more on it except a few bicycles or so and I would not even want to do that. Go ahead and stand on the corner of your trailer bumper sometime and watch how much that bumper flexes and the rear frame flexes and you'll see what I mean. Most (not all) trailers are just not designed to carry much weight on the rear of the frame and bumper. Add to that the bouncing and jauncing that goes on when your going down the road with the weight of even a dirtbike back there and I could envision bad things happening.

Again, just my .02