Towing cross country.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. I am all set up with a Uhaul car hauler with my 2012 Mazda 3 on it. Getting ready to drive to the Grand Canyon tomorrow, then Floridia, then final stop New Jersey.

Quick question, while towing should I always have the tow/haul engaged?

I have got my set up weighed in at 10,520 pounds with car on trailer hooked up to truck. After loading some house hold goods into car and truck coming in at 11,980 pounds.

Just drove about 100 miles today and stopped to visit family before the long trip tomorrow. I am averaging 11.4 according to the trucks computer but that was on heavy traffic. Hopefully I don't end up paying too much in gas over the next week or so.

Bigdaddy

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 3500 Laramie CCLB
Engine
6.7L Diesel Cummins
Yep, with that much weight I would and just take your time, and be safe.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
That's a lot of weight. I don't know what model/class truck your using for this trip, but as BD mentioned, take your time, leave plenty of following distance and enjoy the trip. Hopefully you got your truck freshly serviced before the trip and all your fluids are in good condition. Yes, use Tow/Haul, that's what it's there for. With that much weight I'm sure you will use a lot of fuel, even in a Diesel. Good luck

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
That's a lot of weight. I don't know what model/class truck your using for this trip
I assumed he had a 2500/3500, not many people get the 5.7 in a heavy duty Ram.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I assumed he had a 2500/3500, not many people get the 5.7 in a heavy duty Ram.

I assume also, but i was hoping he'd confirm that

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Use tow haul. Take your time all will be well. 11.4 is little optimistic in my mind but take your time try to roll 60 mph and gain speed down hill coast up will yield best mpg. And if I'm not mistaken he's only pulling about 6700-6900lbs well within any 5.7l towing capacity he said 11960 was total truck trailer car and supply's.

OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 1500 with 5.7 4x4 6 speed and 3.55 rear end.

I am pulling around 6,000 lbs. Uhaul trailer is about 2,000-2,200 depending on what model and my car is about 2,880. I am rated to tow 8,670 lbs and my rated GCWR is 14,400 lbs.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 1500 with 5.7 4x4 6 speed and 3.55 rear end.

I am pulling around 6,000 lbs. Uhaul trailer is about 2,000-2,200 depending on what model and my car is about 2,880. I am rated to tow 8,670 lbs and my rated GCWR is 14,400 lbs.
You have the exact set up as I do Sir !

SUBSCRIBED to see your long trip results for sure !

You should be fine imo , I'm interested in your avg mpg after a few tanks of gas into the trip ?

Also I'm VERY INTERESTED in your XSMN temperature & engine oil temp & pressure , please post up the max temps of the fluids during your trip and the outside air temp as well ...thanks !

As for the tow/ Haul mode you'll most likely want to use it for sure as it changes the shifting points for the 6 speed aka shifts @ a high RPM .

You could experiment once on a long flat section of interstate or a long downhill grade , just for kicks .
There's no issue with pushing the tow/Haul button while driving , I probably wouldn't switch it while actively accelerating though.

I towed an 8,000 lb dry weight camper ( it wasn't dry ) I didn't have it weighed but I'd say it was a bit over 9k total and it was a bit much imo , I won't do that again !

Also , how many miles on your truck and have you changed your differential fluid in the rear end or your xsmn fluid & filters yet ?
If not I would shortly after this long haul

Please keep us posted on your trip Sir , and drive safely and good luck !

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I'll keep updating as I can on the trip.

Truck has 29xxx miles. Fluids have not been changed however checked and topped off. I bought the truck used a few months ago and forgot to ask if all fluids where changed. I am pretty sure I will need to stop sometime and change my oil. According the the computer I'm at about 60% oil life.

Attachments

• IMG_2697.JPG
    IMG_2697.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 371

spoon059

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Not sure why people are so apprehensive or unsure about using tow/haul mode. The main effect of tow/haul is that it allows the lower gears to hold slightly longer, allowing you to stay in your engine's powerband for a longer period of time. It *may* also increase line pressure to your transmission as well, not entirely certain though.

The only "negative" to using tow/haul is that you might get slightly lower fuel mileage when you aren't towing... but it won't have any detrimental effect on your truck or trans.

Do whatever makes you feel better. My rule if thumb is that if I am towing at 33% or more of my max towing abilities, I engage the tow/haul mode. I figure at that point, fuel mileage is already out the window and it may actually be BETTER to tow in a lower gear at higher RPM.

Good luck on your trip, have fun and stay safe.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
The only "negative" to using tow/haul is that you might get slightly lower fuel mileage when you aren't towing..
I am living proof to that))))it sure is fun.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@ UnsatFC , I'd just assume the differentials and Xsmn are original fluids , me personally I'd change them once the trip is over ...especially the diffs , I'd change the xsmn fluid & filters as well . Even though the xsmn fluid technically wouldn't be due yet .

Imo the best thing you can do for a xsmn is keep good clean fluid in it .

Very interested to see your results on the road trip of your :

1) XSMN Max Temperature & avg temp.

2) Eng. oil Max Temperature & avg temp.

3) Engine oil pressure @ cruising speed

4) Coolant Max Temperature & avg temp.

5) Avg MPG .

Sorry for requesting so much info . Sir , but looks like I may be hauling 5,500 - 6,000 lb load from New Mexico to Bristol , Tn . Next summer , and since your truck has the Exact same specs as mine , I figured I'd compare our results

Only difference is I'll be running a larger capacity Mag-Hytec xsmn oil pan ( for cooling )
and Redline xsmn fluid .

I'm also running 5W-30 Redline oil in my 5.7L .
I've already changed my differentials fluids to Redline as I have 45k on my 2014 Ram truck

GOOD LUCK SIR on your trip and drive safe !

Last edited:

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've hauled a very similar weight on Uhaul trailers (with a 2500 though) and find the setup is easier than some other higher profile trailers. The weight is concentrated closer to the ground than TTs/5th wheels. Definitely use the tow/haul mode at all times with that load.

OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Made it to Florida. Truck did well towing. I have not sat down yet and worked out my MPG and everything yet but I'll be sure to get that done soon. I can say that one tank I got over 14 MPG and on another tank I got about 11 MPG.

As far as temperatures goes the average for everything was about:

Coolant around 200 to 205.

Trans around 125 to 135, seen it as high at 150 but that was going up a steep grade trying to maintain 60 MPH

Oil temp around 220's

Oil pressure was always around 53-55 seen it go as high as 60 psi.

I just orderd the Timbren DR1500DQ Suspension Enhancement System. Should be getting it tomorrow. I will be driving up to New Jersey from Florida next week. Hopefully it helps with how much the rear sags and with night time driving, everyone thinks I have my brights on with the rear sagging so much.

MEchase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Made it to Florida. Truck did well towing. I have not sat down yet and worked out my MPG and everything yet but I'll be sure to get that done soon. I can say that one tank I got over 14 MPG and on another tank I got about 11 MPG.

As far as temperatures goes the average for everything was about:

Coolant around 200 to 205.

Trans around 125 to 135, seen it as high at 150 but that was going up a steep grade trying to maintain 60 MPH

Oil temp around 220's

Oil pressure was always around 53-55 seen it go as high as 60 psi.

I just orderd the Timbren DR1500DQ Suspension Enhancement System. Should be getting it tomorrow. I will be driving up to New Jersey from Florida next week. Hopefully it helps with how much the rear sags and with night time driving, everyone thinks I have my brights on with the rear sagging so much.
Your transmission temps seem low to me. I feel like they should be somewhere in the 180F range.

Markcuda

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015-Laramie-1500-CC-4X4
Engine
I just orderd the Timbren DR1500DQ Suspension Enhancement System.
I am willing to bet that you wont like it, but hey, to each their own.
Once them hard rubber things rest on the axle stops, there is no suspension travel any more.

OP
OP
UnsatFC

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your transmission temps seem low to me. I feel like they should be somewhere in the 180F range.

Really? I never seen it go that high. The 150 range was the highest I seen.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Really? I never seen it go that high. The 150 range was the highest I seen.

That seems really low to me too... almost impossible low. I'd almost be wondering about a faulty sensor or something. Everyday driving for me is around 160-170. Towing can get close to 200 on a really hot day towing up a hill with lots of shifting. I don't think I've ever crested 200 and have pulled my 11K 5th wheel through some pretty rough stuff out west here in the mountains.