Towing for the 1st time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 14 Laramie and plan on towing a 80 Malibu on a Uhaul car trailer this weekend. Total mileage will be about 300 miles. All my truck has is the hitch from the factory. What do I need to go buy, a hitch ball if so anything in particular to look for? Any pointers for my first time towing, 4wd or leave it in 2wd? Thanks in advance.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hitch ball size depends on what the trailer requires, call uhaul and ask. 2wd is all you'll need unless you're in mud or snow. Factory hitch should be fine. Do you know weight of trailer and car?

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe all uhaul trailers require a 2" ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got done using a uhaul auto transport a few weeks ago. They require this according to the website.

Hitch Balls
Hitch-ball sizes of 1-7/8 and 2 inches are acceptable with a U-Haul trailer coupler.

With the factory class 5 receiver you're good to go just get a 2" drop kit with 2" ball class III. They sell a kit at Uhaul with a lock on it for about $30. I just got that due to not being able to find any other kits that were rated for over 5,000 lbs. With the class III you will be good for 7,500 lbs.

Also 2wd with tow haul on would do just fine I would think.

billa9b0ng

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 SLT CCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Curious as to your plans for the Malibu... Do you mind sharing?

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Most U-Haul locations sell the hitch and ball. Check with them for the right ball size it's dependant on trailer. Towing nothing special just use tow haul. Give your self plenty of distance to stop U-Haul trailer should have surge brakes so no need for brake controller. Other than that just be smart and take your time speed and trailers gets you in trouble.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Agree with the others. Have u haul help you figure how much of a drop shank you need. You want the trailer level or slightly nose low when loaded. Take your time. Most trailer tires are speed rated to 65mph. I'd recommend you keep it 55-60 on the highway and enjoy the ride

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I have a 14 Laramie and plan on towing a 80 Malibu on a Uhaul car trailer this weekend. Total mileage will be about 300 miles. All my truck has is the hitch from the factory. What do I need to go buy, a hitch ball if so anything in particular to look for? Any pointers for my first time towing, 4wd or leave it in 2wd? Thanks in advance.

If your truck came with a class 5 hitch that would be a 2.5" square opening...Dropping down to a class 4 or 3 rating only requires a 2" square opening...You will need to purchase the ball receiver accordingly....You should have received with the truck a factory sleeve that slides into the 2.5" opening allowing you to drop down to class 3 & 4 receiver size of 2" square...Read this link and set your truck up accordingly....

BTW...Go see my old pals at Advantage Trailer on North Av in Carol Stream,il...They will get you setup for a safe tow...

https://www.reese-hitches.com/learning_center/general-towing-classes

Attachments

• class4-gm-hitch.jpg
    class4-gm-hitch.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I can tell you from personal experience that if you have a 1500 with a Class IV hitch, if they are paying attention, they will likely tell you it's too heavy too be pulled with your truck. That Uhaul car trailer is like 2300lbs is I remember correctly.

You can always go to the Uhaul website, put in your truck info and what you plan to pull and it will tell you if Uhaul will let you do it.

Last edited:

SHOOT2KILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015...2500H.D.
Engine
I can tell you from personal experience that if you have a 1500 with a Class IV hitch, if they are paying attention, they will likely tell you it's too heavy too be pulled with your truck. That Uhaul car trailer is like 2300lbs is I remember correctly.

You can always go to the Uhaul website, put in your truck info and what you plan to pull and it will tell you if Uhaul will let you do it.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/assets/towing_guide/pdf/2015_ram_1500_towing_charts.pdf

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
does you truck have brake controller if not don't tow it you will regret it the first time you have to stop fast. you are probably going to be north of 6000 lbs and unless I'm mistaken surge brakes wont handle that very well.

jacobsmudder

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 express 4x2 6at reg cab
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I tow one of my cars a lot with uhaul trailers. all have been 1 7/8ths not 2inch. Agreed with previous poster to keep at 55-60. Had a trailer tire blow out once with a car on it and it was no fun. Lesson learned. Take your turns wide and use your mirrors.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tow one of my cars a lot with uhaul trailers. all have been 1 7/8ths not 2inch. Agreed with previous poster to keep at 55-60. Had a trailer tire blow out once with a car on it and it was no fun. Lesson learned. Take your turns wide and use your mirrors.

The trailers accept both sizes. But 2" is most common so he should get a 2" if he only buys one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Curious as to your plans for the Malibu... Do you mind sharing?
Well both Malibu's I was seriously interested in sold last night and this morning. Kind of pissed as I told both sellers if they get a better offer to contact me and if it was doable I would Paypal them a deposit. So back to the search.

Plans were just a street cruiser with the occasional track visit. More than likely would have done a 383 stroker crate motor. Kicked around the idea of an LS swap but would really like to keep the motor as original as possible. Was hoping to be at or around 400-450 hp to the crank. Respectable paint and interior as well.

OP
OP
S

shawn1112

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I used their website and it said I was fine

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963