Towing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nightruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram SLT 3500
Engine
Cummings
Just got my 2018 3500 diesel. I am new to the diesel truck ownership. I have been pouring over my user guide trying to familiarize myself with everything. (a little overwhelming). In the towing section under one of the caution blocks it states not to tow anything for the 1st 500 miles. Easy enough. It then states that during the first 500 miles that a trailer is towed, do not drive over 50 miles per hour. Does that mean during the next 500 miles of driving and towing or is that just towing miles. Also I wood appreciate ANY other advice or tips on break in and just good to know driving considerations. Thank you.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Here is the problem, you got (should have) two owners' manuals, one is for the RAM 1500, 2500, and 3500. The second is the diesel supplement, the first half is for the ECODiesel, the second half is for the Cummins.

What you read and posted above came from the RAM 1500, 2500, 3500 manual which covers gasoline powertrains. In the diesel supplement, under the second section (mine is page 147) "Engine Break-in Recommendations", you will see the recommendations for the Cummins. Here is their suggestion;

"Because of the construction of the Cummins® turbocharged diesel engine, engine run-in is enhanced by loaded operating conditions which allow the engine parts to achieve final finish and fit during the first 6,000 miles (10 000 km)."

Regarding the axel break-in period, it applies to all RAM's gas or diesel.

After my first 500 miles, I loaded our 15,000-pound fiver and took off. I'd say I didn't really notice the Cummins getting into its grove until around 12,000 miles.

The owners' manual is hard to read because they do a lot of referencing, counterdicking, and show artifacts from evolutions of adding and rewriting paragraphs. They really need to start from scratch and make new manuals.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There is no 50 MPH / 500 mile towing limit on the Cummins powertrain. Towing is actually encouraged per the diesel supplement.

As far as other considerations, make sure to follow the service schedule, use the recommended fluids and consider an auxiliary fuel filtering system to eliminate air and smaller particulate matter from the fuel system.

OP
OP
N

nightruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram SLT 3500
Engine
Cummings
Thanks for the quick response guys. I appreciate the advice. Any thoughts on driving with the exhaust brake on all the time?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
There is a member that mostly stays over on the HD section of the forum (SouthTexan) that seems to know a crap ton about the Cummins. He could probably answer about any question you have regarding the truck.

OP
OP
N

nightruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram SLT 3500
Engine
Cummings
Thanks 68. Very cool looking wagon.