Towing rookie: Tow hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So I'm loving the heck out of my '16 3500 dually. Even with stock all-weather tires I've been powering through knee-high snow drifts on our long driveway with ease. Christmas guests didn't fare so well and got stuck though. We ended up digging and pushing but I was left wondering if my bear of a truck could have been useful.

It has two tow hooks or loops on the front bumper but I don't know the first thing about using them without damaging the truck or the vehicle-in-need. Any rookie guidance would certainly be appreciated.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would suggest better to get a book for the hitch in the back. The 2500 and. 3500 hooks mount to the bumper brackets. I believe a few people have twisted the bumper. I know 1500 tow hooks are attached directly to the frame though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sandawilliams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
So I'm loving the heck out of my '16 3500 dually. Even with stock all-weather tires I've been powering through knee-high snow drifts on our long driveway with ease. Christmas guests didn't fare so well and got stuck though. We ended up digging and pushing but I was left wondering if my bear of a truck could have been useful.

It has two tow hooks or loops on the front bumper but I don't know the first thing about using them without damaging the truck or the vehicle-in-need. Any rookie guidance would certainly be appreciated.

A tow strap is much safer than a chain. Try to make your pulls as straight/head on to the stuck vehicle. If pulling from the rear insert a ball into the receiver and go for it. When hooking to a stuck vehicle make sure you are not tying to a sharp area that will cut your strap.

OP
OP
Outlaw Pilot

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So just a standard ball in the hitch receiver and a basic tow strap? Seems simple enough.

OP
OP
Outlaw Pilot

Outlaw Pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm learning that you do NOT use the ball but rather a bolted ring or straight into the receiver with the bolt. And that apparently ARB recovery straps are pretty good for the purpose. I'm thinking the 17,500 rated ARB705 strap is sufficient since I don't think I'd be assisting any vehicle heavier than 5,000 lbs although the ARB710 rated for 24,000 isn't much more expensive and just a little bit bulkier (I assume).

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes a hook is better. Also don’t jerk out other vehicles without using a proper jerk strap. Recovery straps are not designed for jerking. If you use a recovery strap proper procedure is to ease into the tension then slowly push the throttle to ease it the other vehicle. Jerking the strap can cause damage to the rope/strap or the vehicles. I personally use a short 6’ strap on both vehicles with a chain in the middle for readjustment purposes. It’s easy to remove the chain and readjust position and lengths as well with a clevis on both ends as where a long 20’ strap is 20’ only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So just a standard ball in the hitch receiver and a basic tow strap? Seems simple enough.

Although it seems the norm, this is the most dangerous way of doing it. If that ball breaks off or the hitch tears as most are hollow steel it becomes a very day for a lot of people. A good shackle that is rated for the weight. As well a proper strap is the key, a chain will break a ton of crap, a normal strap will kill you. There is a reason everything but kinetic ropes are outlawed in almost all other countries.

As for the front tow hooks, they are fine to pull. Pull do not jerk, and be as straight as possible.

Sandbox

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
While no this exact brand, I use something like this in my hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-29312B-Receiver-Shackle-Receivers/dp/B001CF1A7O
Before I bought the shackle arrangement above, I used a shackle with an extra hitch mount. Works the same. Agree with no using the hitch ball and please don't use straps with metal hooks. If you've never witnessed a strap break and a hook go flying through a windshield, it is an eye opening experience!!!

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
When I pull people out I have a standard 4in strap and I keep a hitch pin with my strap. I feed the strap into my reciver and put the in through it and clip in place. Odds are the hitch pin will handle the wait with out a problem and even if it did shear off in some sort of crazy event it's inside the strap and not likely to become a projectile. Also use 4lo and go slow don't get a running start that brakes stuff. Also hook to manufactures factory tow points found in owners manual the frame. If your not sure don't do it.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi

NO !!!!!! Seen too many hitch balls come off and become flying missiles.

Don't use chain for pulling either, you will usually break stuff, and if the chain breaks, you better not be in the path it takes.

Also do not use a chain in any way when combined with a snatch or tow strap, as if the strap breaks, the chain will become a flying hazard as well.

Straps with metal hooks on the ends....same thing...don't use for safety reasons.

If you buy a tow strap, do NOT snatch with it.....that is what a snatch strap or recovery strap is made for. You also should get a snatch/recovery strap that is rated at least 5 times your vehicle weight, as when the snatch method is used, the force from the vehicle weight is greatly increased when the strap comes tight. Back in the day when I did most of my wheeling, I had a toyota pu truck, and the recommended strap for using with it was one rated for 30k, or 6 times the trucks' weight. These days, the recommendation may not be as high, but I would not use anything less than a 25k rated strap for snatching.

Get a hook that is made to go in the hitch, or a pintle loop....or at least get an insert & ball rated for 12k or more towing (solid forged insert, min 1 1/4" ball shank, as little rise or drop on insert as you can get). You could also use a clevis type insert as long as it is rated for 12k at least.

The shank on a regular ball is NOT made for the forces put on it when pulling someone out, plus it is very easy for the strap to come ff the ball.

I use a pintle loop I found literally on the side of the road...solid cast iron...they run about 60 bucks normally. I run the strap thru the loop, then I run it around the insert part before I put it in the hitch. That way it wraps around the loop back to itself.

You can also do as some have said, and run the strap into the hitch, and simply use the pin, but I've done this in the past, and when the pin bends (and it will), you'll have a hard time pulling it out. The pin is designed to hold the insert, which puts force on the pin evenly across the pin (at least on 2 sides if it is a hollow insert), where as the strap puts all the force in the middle of the pin, so it bends.

This is what I use:
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...MIxZDjorOo2AIVV1gNCh1--w7qEAYYByABEgJBbfD_BwE

This would also be a good choice for light jobs:
https://www.amazon.com/Trailhead-Mu...ons&keywords=receiver+mount+pintle+hook&psc=1

Last edited:

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Rule 1 is use a strap. It'll stretch a bit to absorb any shock load and if someone's really stuck and you need a bit of a run it won't break stuff as easily and if it breaks it won't go fling through windows. I hook to my truck with a shackle off my safety chain hook ups that's way stronger than the strap so if the strap breaks the shackles not moving. Also use a shackle on the vehicle I'm towing if there's a place to hook up. If not I just thread the strap through it's own eye around whatever I'm hooking to so if the strap breaks it's just nylon strap and nothing else snapping back at me. Once again rule 1 is use a tow strap. On the front I uses a shackle tying my main tow rope to 2 6' straps off both my tow hooks if the vehicle doesn't have a place to mount a shackle that's pulling me. I figure the single strap will break before the pair and at least it'll be tethered if it does. If the other vehicle has a shackle mount I just thread the looped end through itself around the 2 other straps.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Rule 1 is use a strap. It'll stretch a bit to absorb any shock load and if someone's really stuck and you need a bit of a run it won't break stuff as easily and if it breaks it won't go fling through windows. I hook to my truck with a shackle off my safety chain hook ups that's way stronger than the strap so if the strap breaks the shackles not moving. Also use a shackle on the vehicle I'm towing if there's a place to hook up. If not I just thread the strap through it's own eye around whatever I'm hooking to so if the strap breaks it's just nylon strap and nothing else snapping back at me. Once again rule 1 is use a tow strap. On the front I uses a shackle tying my main tow rope to 2 6' straps off both my tow hooks if the vehicle doesn't have a place to mount a shackle that's pulling me. I figure the single strap will break before the pair and at least it'll be tethered if it does. If the other vehicle has a shackle mount I just thread the looped end through itself around the 2 other straps.

Not a good idea......those are flat plate, and are designed to take 1/2 of the load...so unless you are using both at the same time, you are risking damage.

They are not anywhere near as strong as using a hitch insert would be.

ALWAYS LET THE PERSON THAT IS STUCK HOOK UP THE CHAIN(TOW STRAP)TO THEIR OWN VEHICLE. In case of any damage done to their vehicle it's not your responsibility.
Jay

Agreed, but after they do, go check their work.....I had a strap get cut cuz the guy hooked it up to his vehicle across a sharp edge.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
TRCM talked me into buying one of these instead of using the safety hook locations. Haven't had a problem yet, but this might fit in one of the floor storage bins so I can carry it with my straps. My pintle hitch I like to use is just too big to keep in the truck all the time so it sits in the garage unless I need to pull the trailer.

Cardhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Recovery/

A lot here (not all) could benefit from a good read. Use a rated clevis aka shackle where it belongs. Receiver hitch pins with strap in receiver tube is second best option and acceptable. Also use the right type of strap for what your doing

CrispyBacon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Please use a recovery strap, not a tow strap. There's a difference.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
You may want to look at this from the point of if you are stuck. You might want a set up strong enough to pull your big 3500 dually out because most people wont have anything that strong even if they think they can pull that monster.

Fliehigh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 6.4
While no this exact brand, I use something like this in my hitch.

https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-29312B-Receiver-Shackle-Receivers/dp/B001CF1A7O
Before I bought the shackle arrangement above, I used a shackle with an extra hitch mount. Works the same. Agree with no using the hitch ball and please don't use straps with metal hooks. If you've never witnessed a strap break and a hook go flying through a windshield, it is an eye opening experience!!!

This is what I use as well and I agree, do not use the hitch ball. Most are not rated for that kind of pressure and tend to break back windows when they fail.