Towing Stability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Is it the weight of the truck that makes towing with a 2500 more stable? My wife and I will be buying a new truck when I return from Korea. I had a 1500 5.7 Hemi and it towed alright but I want more to be more on the safe side. I’d rather have too much truck and not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
As far as stability mostly weight & stiffer suspension. What are you looking to tow?

silver surfer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If that is your dry weight, I would definitely go for the 2500. If that is your gross weight and you camp heavy, you will still be borderline on payload limits with the 1500.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can see if you already have a 1500 and “making it work”, but if you’re currently looking to buy new, then why screw around. Just get the 2500.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
If 7500 is your wet weight you can pretty comfortably tow that with a well set up rig (WDH per scales) a properly specked 1/2 ton IE appropriate motor gears tow pkg. Especially if you only make one long trip & a couple local one a summer.

If you plan to full time or prefer to tow at 70 plus and want to stick that quad in the bed you would be better served by an HD.

If you also want to use it as a daily to commute take the kids to school etc comfortably & get respectable economy you will be better served the 1/2 ton.

If your willing to accept a harsher ride and are willing to pay at the pump may get a bigger trailer get an HD.

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There's no comparison. The 5.7 is plenty of motor to tow but I felt I was always bouncing and being pulled a little side to side with 6k boat. 1500 suspension is so soft compared to my current 6.4 2500. With the overall heavier truck and stiffer suspension you really don't know anything is behind you. Towing fuel mileage is about the same with either truck.

MasonD21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HemiWagon
I agree with dbrock34. Just having the heavier rig helps with the towing aspect, plus bigger brakes, springs, shocks, typically heavier duty cooling for towing grades, etc.

If you put 6k behind a 6k truck, it's alright. It'll be safe and stable. But if you put 6k behind a 7400lb truck or a 7800lb truck (typically diesels are the heavier), then your truck acts like an anchor and the load doesnt pull your rear end around as easy (bow wake from 18-wheelers for example), or push and porpoise your back end with the beefier springs and shocks.

But on the other hand, like Vern stated, a 1500 is plenty of truck for that same 6k. I wouldn't hesitate towing with the correct setup on it.

My two cents: I went with a 2500 power wagon because even though I only tow around 8k max, I wanted my truck and cargo to weigh more than the load I was towing. Just felt more secure, rock solid, stable.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
More weight on the truck axles than on the trailer axles is definitely a good thing for towing especially on a bumper pull. But a 6k boat shouldn't sway side to side. Most people find towing the same load with 5.7 8 speed vs the 6.4 6 speed to provide a measurable improvement in towing economy. At least to what the 5.7 can comfortably handle.

8k trailer less 12.5% TW equals 7k on trailer axles.
6k tuck plus 12.5% TW equals 7k on the truck axles.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
My .02....7500 has long been my personal threshold for half ton towing. More than that (loaded, ready to camp weight) and your in 2500 series truck territory.

I'd go 2500 at that weight. That way you won't be worried about running maxed out or overweight when you tow heavy.

I love my 2500. i daily drive it and average around 12 mpg, on my stop and go daily commute. About 9-10 towing and up to 17 on the highway.

The 2500 is just so much more truck all the way around. So long as i can afford and manage it, I'll always have a 2500 or 3500 going forward.

I no longer worry about payload or being maxed out like i did with my 2015 1500 Silverado.

To those that say with a 2500 you won't feel a trailer back there.....That's inaccurate. I always know when my trailer is behind me. I still feel a little pull on the wheel when the big boys pass me on the highway. Nothing harsh but i know when they do.

A 1500 is a fine tow vehicle if used within its means, even maxed out if you dial it in like Vern does, but my truck has over 3100 lbs of payload and with the tt hooked up, before i even put on the wdh, she barely squats at all. My silverado with no wdh squatted several inches.

Just some food for thought. Good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn