Towing/Weight Specs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm trying to make sure I understand the numbers on the attached Ram 1500 Towing Chart as they apply to my Rebel (Hemi, 4x4, 5'7" bed, crew cab, 3.92 rear, 8AT trans), and I have a couple of questions for those with more experience...

The way I read the chart footnotes, it seems like the vehicle base weight INCLUDES:
· 300# of driver/passenger weight
· Weight of options commonly equipped (33% of sales)
· Class IV receiver (11.1#)
· Hitch (65# for trucks w/ 5k+ tow capacity)

Is that correct? Or are some/all of these weights to be added on top of the base weight? And if they're not included, does the base weight at least include all the fluids in the truck? (oil, full tank of gas, etc.)

Also, the footnotes indicate that "Payload and Trailer Weight Rating are mutually exclusive." I assume they're referring to the trailer tongue weight? (i.e. 10% of the actual trailer weight) Otherwise, this makes no sense as a 10k trailer weight would FAR exceed the max payload capacity!
So if they mean tongue weight, then a 5000# trailer, (with 10% tongue weight) would use 500# of payload capacity. Is that right?

Thanks in advance for the input and advice.243fe39b7eaaec00b37f87c9f79a89bb.jpg

HvyDuty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Regarding payload, the charts are based on the minimum configuration of each listed powertrain/trans/gearing/body/bed. This would be a Tradesman model with absolutely no options, with all fluids including full tank of full. (though they do not make a distinction between 26 gal and 32 gal fuel tank, so conservatively I'd take it as the 26 gal tank specs, so you would add 6 gallons of gas to your weights)

Footnote 5 is how they calculate tow capacity as is what you listed above.

As a general rule, 1/2 tons will run out of payload before reaching max advertised tow capacity. To have a safe bumper pull you need a minimum of 10% of the trailer weight on the tongue. So a 10000 lbs trailer should have at least a 1000lb tongue weight (and there goes most if not all of a 1/2 tons payload, before occupants and cargo are even loaded) Your payload is listed on your Tire and Loading Sticker on the door jamb, should say Max weight of passengers and cargo should note exceed XXXX). This is what you're left with minus the weight of your options packages etc.

All this being said, IMO as long as you use caution and never exceed your GAWRs and Tire Max weights you should be ok.

I highly recommend anyone towing near the limits to visit a CAT scale to know exactly where they stand.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ED
Excellent reply.

To get down to 10 percent you would typically need a strong well set up WDH and good trailer loading.

At the 10 percent or 1,000 actual seen by the scale TW my 1500 would have about 300 pounds of GVWR or towing payload left. Add passengers or stuff to the bed and I would quickly be over.

Being over GVWR is not as bad stability wise as having poor axle distribution but its one of the reasons as to why say 8k is typically more of a practical max tow for even a well set up 1500.

OP
OP
DVC

DVC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Regarding payload, the charts are based on the minimum configuration of each listed powertrain/trans/gearing/body/bed. This would be a Tradesman model with absolutely no options, with all fluids including full tank of full...

Your payload is listed on your Tire and Loading Sticker on the door jamb, should say Max weight of passengers and cargo should note exceed XXXX). This is what you're left with minus the weight of your options packages etc.

Thanks for the info!

I just checked my TIP on the door jam, and was shocked to see that it says 868#...yikes! I guess the air ride, Ramboxes, sunroof, and big E rated tires make this a much heavier truck than I expected! Looks like I'll need to significantly scale back my expectations for towing/hauling...

Last edited: