towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bugaboo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
im looking for some opionions on towing a two horse trailer with two horses, i would say the combined weight is around45-5000 pounds. I would be towing just around 20 times this summer. My truck is an 2002 half ton and its all stock exept the tires that are 285/70r17 i put on. Will i be ok to haul that?

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Thats not that much weight, under what it is rated for. But the larger tires have knocked that number down some. Remember no towing in O/D it must be off at all times. 9.25 for towing is an ok diff in my book, they have weak lsd's but whatever, maintain it and you should be good. Good top of the line gear oil is a must for the rear diff. A good gear ratio like Rowdyram has posted would be 4.10. Good working trailer brakes will go a long way as well.

I have towed a lot with my truck over the years, with ratios 3.92, 4.10 and 4.56 with a few diff tires sizes as well.

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
The only reason I mentioned the 9.25 and towing is around here A LOT of people have 2g rams and I can't tell you how many rebuilds I've done due to broken cross shafts and failed pinion bearings. Not trying to scare you just something to keep in mind, as mentioned proper maintenance and quality fluid will go a long ways

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Pinion bearing yes forgot about those. What is taking out the cross-shafts Rowdyram? Weak part from the get go or just abuse and lack of maintenance, over heating?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
I have done about 6 that broke the shafts, the last one he was pulling his 17' alumaweld up the boat ramp lost traction them it grabbed pavement and... Boom.
Most of the others have just been wear and tear a couple of which are long time customers with well maintained trucks and near as I can tell(from the aftermath) the spiders get hot and sieze to the shaft it then rotates shears the retaining pin, tears up the carrier then eventually snaps.
Also did one a couple weeks ago, pinion seized up at 55 mph towing a car trailer locked up the tires, twisted the drive line like a candy cane shattered the t-case and ripped it of the trans. New trans t-case and rear axle he was good to go. $5600 later.

OP
OP
B

bugaboo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So will proper matenance prevent this? Mine is actually a 3rd generation did they change anything

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
To a point.. Heat has a major impact on bearing wear so frequent maintenance with quality fluid will greatly extend the life of the diff. But it won't make parts stronger.
I'm not trying to cause you concern just make you aware and I'm not saying don't tow with that axle, just that proper maintenance is critical and although the gvw says it can handle it doesn't mean its ideal for frequent use.

Also if you do consider regearing it may be cost effective to do a 60/70 swap with factory 4.10s it will not be a lot more $$ and you get larger breaks and a larger dia. Ring gear as well which will provide more torque.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bugaboo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I should be ok with two horses and a trailer so aroun 5000 pounds

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I have done about 6 that broke the shafts, the last one he was pulling his 17' alumaweld up the boat ramp lost traction them it grabbed pavement and... Boom.
Most of the others have just been wear and tear a couple of which are long time customers with well maintained trucks and near as I can tell(from the aftermath) the spiders get hot and sieze to the shaft it then rotates shears the retaining pin, tears up the carrier then eventually snaps.
Also did one a couple weeks ago, pinion seized up at 55 mph towing a car trailer locked up the tires, twisted the drive line like a candy cane shattered the t-case and ripped it of the trans. New trans t-case and rear axle he was good to go. $5600 later.
**** that sound gnarly.
So will proper matenance prevent this? Mine is actually a 3rd generation did they change anything

To a point.. Heat has a major impact on bearing wear so frequent maintenance with quality fluid will greatly extend the life of the diff. But it won't make parts stronger.
I'm not trying to cause you concern just make you aware and I'm not saying don't tow with that axle, just that proper maintenance is critical and although the gvw says it can handle it doesn't mean its ideal for frequent use.

Also if you do consider regearing it may be cost effective to do a 60/70 swap with factory 4.10s it will not be a lot more $$ and you get larger breaks and a larger dia. Ring gear as well which will provide more torque.

I don't think you can put a 60/70 in a 3g due to brake problems and spring pads. He'd be looking at an AAM 10.5 axle but only if he's 2WD

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Ya I didn't catch the 3g part. A swap would be more difficult.
I have only seen 1 9.25 in a 3g fail. I'm not sure what has changed. I've had several old 9.25s with B and RBs upfront and never a problem.
And the new ones seen OK. Crappy decade I guess...

And ya dd94 it is gnarly. I got half a shaft and a side gear at work I'll take a pic tomorrow. It actually slipped out and hit the pinion and bent a little before snapping.

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Ya I didn't catch the 3g part. A swap would be more difficult.
I have only seen 1 9.25 in a 3g fail. I'm not sure what has changed. I've had several old 9.25s with B and RBs upfront and never a problem.
And the new ones seen OK. Crappy decade I guess...

And ya dd94 it is gnarly. I got half a shaft and a side gear at work I'll take a pic tomorrow. It actually slipped out and hit the pinion and bent a little before snapping.

I feel the quality of the 9.25 axle went down in the 90s. Either that or with out 2gs being heavier than 1gs we are pushing them harder :D

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
Part of me thinks it has a lot to do with the poor metal quality starting in the 90s because of all the recycling in the late 80s from the emissions crisis we shipped out shredded american steel and got back recycled Mazda's

OP
OP
B

bugaboo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
so i am going to have the rear end serviced today at a shop, is there anything i should tell them or a certain oil to tell them to put in? should i have them do anything with the front?

rowdyram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.9
If its open I suggest 75w140, I use valvoline.
If its a LSD make sure they use a fluid for LSD or use an additive. The motorcraft factory additive is just about the best on the market.

Cross shaft from a 99 qcsb 5.9 5spd. 276k been rebuilt once at
127k.
uploadfromtaptalk1424278426053.jpg