TPMS Sensors in a can

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SargeFirstClass

SargeFirstClass

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To all that want to know if I tried the all sensors in one container, no I have not tried it. After reading in different areas I did find out that RAM trucks have receiving antennas at each wheel and if that is true it would not work putting sensors in one container, even putting them in separate containers near each antenna would not work. So, yes the federal government regulation needs to go. We can take care of checking tire pressure ourselves without the government telling us we need to. TMPS is a good idea, but we operators need to be able to set the max pressure where our tires we are running need to be set to, not what the government says we need it set to. Each tire is different. Not even the vehicle manufacturer should tell us this. We will not be running the tires they put on the vehicle forever! Enough said.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
To all that want to know if I tried the all sensors in one container, no I have not tried it. After reading in different areas I did find out that RAM trucks have receiving antennas at each wheel and if that is true it would not work putting sensors in one container, even putting them in separate containers near each antenna would not work. So, yes the federal government regulation needs to go. We can take care of checking tire pressure ourselves without the government telling us we need to. TMPS is a good idea, but we operators need to be able to set the max pressure where our tires we are running need to be set to, not what the government says we need it set to. Each tire is different. Not even the vehicle manufacturer should tell us this. We will not be running the tires they put on the vehicle forever! Enough said.
We'll let me know if you want to change those TPMS settings. I only live about 2 hours north of you and we usually camp at Lake Wappapello once or twice a summer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

redrumram

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn
Engine
5.7 hemi
I run all 4 tires at 35psi-or 268kpa -that's what it calls for in more door jamb- 26570r20 is this wrong? It rides real nice and no uneven tire wear...

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Somehow, for the 5 years I've had my vehicle I've managed to tolerate the TPMS.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I run all 4 tires at 35psi-or 268kpa -that's what it calls for in more door jamb- 26570r20 is this wrong? It rides real nice and no uneven tire wear...
Sounds like you have a 1500. The TPMS issue is with the 2500 trucks.

17CrewCab1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thankfully I was able to have my 2500 truck reprogrammed before the WyTech2 upgrade came out. My buddy, not so lucky. He has that TPMS light on at all times since he went to 35" tires.

TPMS0.jpg

TPMS1.jpg

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Thankfully I was able to have my 2500 truck reprogrammed before the WyTech2 upgrade came out. My buddy, not so lucky. He has that TPMS light on at all times since he went to 35" tires.

View attachment 121431

View attachment 121432
Tell your buddy to give me a shout .. 6183044807. I have the device to make the adjustment and I'll ship it out to him. Current waiting list is about 3 weeks.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bigmike3823

Reaction score
Ram Year
20170Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 hemi
well I have a 1500 (2017) and all winter I have experienced the tmps coming on because it says I have low pressure then I put more air in the tires and low and behold on a warmer day its says I have too much pressure in the tires also heard that there is going to be a recall on ram trucks any one else heard

Gpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
This tire pressure thing is totally bogus. For years and years we've been operating cars and trucks and we looked after our own tire pressure - usually checked visually every day after parking or getting into the vehicle. Now we have these gadgets that tell us we are stupid and that we should never know better what tire pressure in our vehicles should be. My 2012 Ram has an option for light tire pressure. I use this all the time but when tire pressure is below about 40 psi, then the idiot light is on. Happens all the time during the winter months when temperature drops. I've been running all winter with the 'low tire pressure' indicator on, and yes, it's annoying to clear it from the EVIC every time I drive. When I have no load in the truck and run with an MT bed, there is no reason to keep 50 or more psi in the rear tires. If a pressurized can will work on my 4th get truck, I'd sure go for it and place it in the middle under the back seat of my truck. But I guess that would also mean taking my tires off, reclaiming the fill valves to put into the can and replacing these with normal fill valves. One might consider this during the next tire purchase.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This tire pressure thing is totally bogus. For years and years we've been operating cars and trucks and we looked after our own tire pressure - usually checked visually every day after parking or getting into the vehicle. Now we have these gadgets that tell us we are stupid and that we should never know better what tire pressure in our vehicles should be. My 2012 Ram has an option for light tire pressure. I use this all the time but when tire pressure is below about 40 psi, then the idiot light is on. Happens all the time during the winter months when temperature drops. I've been running all winter with the 'low tire pressure' indicator on, and yes, it's annoying to clear it from the EVIC every time I drive. When I have no load in the truck and run with an MT bed, there is no reason to keep 50 or more psi in the rear tires. If a pressurized can will work on my 4th get truck, I'd sure go for it and place it in the middle under the back seat of my truck. But I guess that would also mean taking my tires off, reclaiming the fill valves to put into the can and replacing these with normal fill valves. One might consider this during the next tire purchase.

The canister trick is not going to work on these trucks. It's been tried before without success. FYI, your OEM thresholds are 60 front / 80 rear and 60 front / 45 rear with the light load button. The warnings will come on at 80% (20% less) of those values. With the Autel device you can adjust all the values, heavy and light load. I've shipped my Autel all over the US and a couple Canada locations. Are you ever in the US or have a US shipping address? It would make a shipping a ton easier because the customs and fees of a high insurance item is costly and time confusing.

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
this is killing me on my 2018....i like to know my pressures, but i hate being reminded every time i turn the key

Gpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
What is the Autel device? How does it work? What’s required to install? And will this really solve the problem? What about the next dealer update, will that affect any changes made? BTW, I do have a US mailing address. Right now more questions than answers.

4x4x4door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
What is the Autel device? How does it work? What’s required to install? And will this really solve the problem? What about the next dealer update, will that affect any changes made? BTW, I do have a US mailing address. Right now more questions than answers.
Some our questions will be answered in the HD Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset thread.

What is the Autel device?
Autel makes several diagnostic devices but the Maxisys model is the one with the ability to make certain changes to the ECU.

How does it work?
By adjusting the pressure thresholds and updating the RFH (radio frequency hub). The RFH holds the warnings amongst other things.

What’s required to install?
The 4-digit PIN key code from the Parts dept at the dealer. I suggest to everyone that they tell the dealer that they need the codes to make a spare key which works best. Read more in the referenced thread. I provide everything else that's needed.

And will this really solve the problem?
Absolutely! I've helped 125 guys so far.

What about the next dealer update, will that affect any changes made?
This depends on the update, but not likely. Most updates do not flash the BCM where these settings are stored. A recent recall on the brake transmission shift interlock involves a BCM flash for certain years. It's possible that the flash would only be part of the BCM and not affect these settings.

These questions and many other are answered on my website but no sure I can post that here. Send me a PM if you'd like the link.

KS Ram 09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exactly.

RAM does TPMS differently than other manufacturers, RAM has an antenna in each wheel well to pick up the TPMS signal. This is why there is no need to do a TPMS relearn on a tire rotation. Placing the TPMS sensors in a pressurized chamber is likely going to confuse the computer that reads the wheel well antennas and will, eventually, set a TPMS light.

Then there is the issue of rotation, the sensors send a signal out once every 30 minutes or so when stationary. When the tire is rotating, the transmission period increases to a few minutes. I don't know what the behavior would be but I would think the TPMS system will set a TPMS light if the vehicle is traveling and the sensors are not reporting in a timely manner.

Despite reports of others successes with Mustangs, BWMs or whatever, the RAM's TPMS systems are a bit more unique.

If TPMS were to move back to the methods used back around the year 2000 where the ABS sensor readings were used to detect a delta spin of one wheel, these TPMS problems wouldn't exist. The real issue is the government regulation, it needs to go.

Do you have any info on these four antennas? where exactly are they located? Any part numbers? I have a 09' 1500. I have a tpms fault c1504. Tire number four not communicating with the system. All sensors tested ok at the tire shop but i had a sensor putn in #4 anyways. The light never went out. The tire shop is saying that the system is damaged further up.