TPS issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I've been going over this for a while now. My truck is a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 5.2l and automatic transmission. The issue I've been chasing down is I know something is amiss about the TPS.

At idle it procuces between 0.62 and 0.66v. when I check the Factory Service manual for the 1996-1997 truck it says 1.0v is the norm. I've gone through 3 TPS and all show 0.6ish volts at idle.

When I got the truck it had a Holley Throttle Position Sensor. This one registers 0.6v it's back in the truck now.

I replaced it with a BWD TPS from O'Riley's which I know went bad. I took that back today and the new one throws a check engine light P0123 so I put the original Holley back in.

So my question is what exactly is the proper voltage range for the 96 ran 1500 tps? Is it 1.0v or the 0.6v that I keep getting these TPS in?

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Found the correct numbers. More than 0.2V at idle and less than 4.8V at WOT.

Also Dodge no longer sells the Mopar TPS for my 96 so I will have to go after market, probably Delphi.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Zervun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I just replaced my TPS and IAT with ones from Napa.

I believe one was Napa's brand and the other delhi or whatever it was.

I had idle issues where it was jumping up and down as well as surging driving it. It fixed it.

OP
OP
Shadow_Death

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just replaced my TPS and IAT with ones from Napa.

I believe one was Napa's brand and the other delhi or whatever it was.

I had idle issues where it was jumping up and down as well as surging driving it. It fixed it.

See mine doesn't have surging RPMs... Well it does but only by 10-20rpm according to Torque Pro. Now if by surging while driving you mean that odd feeling like your truck randomly goes fast and slow as if you're giving it throttle and letting off lightly.. Then yeah mine is doing that with this replacement TPS. Problem is I can't check voltage while that is going because I'm driving it and bluetooth code readers don't poll fast enough to catch anything bad. :/

Another thing mine does do is random jerking while driving and sometimes the Torque Converter will lock and unlock. The jerking is like the truck is trying to die but there are no misfire codes. Guess I'll need to check fuel pressure now that I'm thinking about it.

Zervun

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
See mine doesn't have surging RPMs... Well it does but only by 10-20rpm according to Torque Pro. Now if by surging while driving you mean that odd feeling like your truck randomly goes fast and slow as if you're giving it throttle and letting off lightly.. Then yeah mine is doing that with this replacement TPS. Problem is I can't check voltage while that is going because I'm driving it and bluetooth code readers don't poll fast enough to catch anything bad. :/

Another thing mine does do is random jerking while driving and sometimes the Torque Converter will lock and unlock. The jerking is like the truck is trying to die but there are no misfire codes. Guess I'll need to check fuel pressure now that I'm thinking about it.

Well, the IAT could have been might my idle issue who knows. Ya mine didn't jerk so to speak, I would be going along and if I slightly gave it gas (or sometimes more gas) it would do a slight jump in RPMs then catch again. If I gave it full throttle it never did it. After I replaced the TPS all of that was gone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye