Trail Suggestions - Big Bear Lake, CA area

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by BlackWidow, May 30, 2016.

1. BlackWidow

BlackWidow Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram
    Engine:
    As the title suggests looking for possible trail suggestions in Big Bear Lake, CA area that a Ram 2500 Crew Cab with a 3" lift and 37's can handle without getting tore up. We've got a day in the area so I'm looking for something that would offer something a little more than a dirt road and be fun to explore. If we

If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I'm in the midst of trip planning for our annual road trip and I figured since we were planning on heading up to Big Bear Lake for at some point during our trip to Southern California we might as well knock it out before we check into our rental giving us more days to do other things.

Thanks in advance...

Kevin

2. AustinB

AustinB Banned

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    I was just at big bear last weekend with my 4runner..

Theres a bunch of dirt roads out there to fly down, and easier stuff like that.

We did "white mountain" trail on accident, while looking for john bull. ..it could be doable in your ram (white mountain), narrow in some places though. Or just set your gps to white mtn trail and drive the roads leading up to it (screen shot your maps, you will 100% have ZERO service out there).. Good views either way.

Big bear was a little too easy for my taste though, heres a pic from the top of white mtn.
    [​IMG]
    Mostly just sharp rocks, really bumpy.. Just air down to about 15-20 to soak some of that up. Maybe only 2 hairy spots in a full size and can easily turn around in most places if you're not comfortable.

And toying around after john bull
    [​IMG]

This guy calls it the "hardest" trail, believe me.. Hes definitely exaggerating. Just avoid holcomb, john bull, and gold mountain.
    https://youtu.be/8iH8HWf8e24

Also a few shooting ranges off the side of the roads if you wanted to bust some caps in some paper.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  3. BlackWidow

BlackWidow Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram
    Engine:
    White Mountain sounds vaguely familiar. Not sure if that was one in the Fun Treks book or I'm thinking of something else. I'll have check it out. It'd have to be real sketchy for it to rattle me, though I'm sure the wife would be hanging on for dear life no matter what. :roflsquared:

AustinB likes this.
  4. AustinB

AustinB Banned

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Whatever you do, hope to see you update this thread with some videos.

5. BlackWidow

BlackWidow Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram
    Engine:
    I'll definitely have lots of pics. If I can figure out the GoPro I picked up, I'll see what I can do for videos. :favorites13:

6. Skrap

Skrap Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
    Engine:
    Done Big Bear several times in the '72 K5 I use to have. If your ram is nice I'd stay away from John Bull. I would thing Gold Mountain would be fine but some of the switch backs on the south side will be a bit fun to negotiate.

7. AustinB

AustinB Banned

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    ^^ if you do john bull w/o 10" lift and 38s.. You wont have a rear bumper anymore lol.

8. BlackWidow

BlackWidow Member

Ram Year:
    2014 Ram
    Engine:

Yeah, John Bull looks like fun though I wouldn't touch it our Ram. My Rubicon, different story, that at least as built to take some abuse.

9. AustinB

AustinB Banned

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    hemi 5.7
    Jeeps out there snappin axles like twigs. Passed two that were abandoned on the trail.