Trailer towing control connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I'm new here, but not new to owning a Ram. I've recently purchased a 1500 5.7 Hemi that I'll be using to pull a 22ft travel trailer. My 2015 1500 seems to be lacking a trailer brake plug to connect my controller. A local dealer wouldn't even go beyond showing me where it should be. I've removed the panel under the steering wheel and searched everywhere and didn't locate the plug. My local mechanic has inquired his source and said that some didn't come with a plug. With the camping season in full bloom, I'm getting desperate to solve the mystery. I've tried to pull the panel on the dash, where the OEM controller is usually located, but I couldn't get it off without damaging the piece. How can I get my controller hooked up?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Pull the panel below the steering wheel and look more near/above the steering column.
I've seen people post pics that the plugs had foam on them, assuming to keep them from rattling under the dash.
If you don't have the factory 4/7 pin jack on the rear bumper, then I might think the harness under the dash isn't there.

OP
OP
Rick R

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the plugs on the rear bumper and the tow/ haul button on the dash, so I have to assume it was meant for towing. There was a bundle of wires and connections on terminal strips of some kind, wrapped in a thin foam, but nothing with the right color combination and gage of the wires I'm looking for.

OP
OP
Rick R

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've pulled the center dashboard panel and behind where the OEM brake control should be is a small plug. I'm assuming that the factory module plugs in there. Any thoughts on where to go next? Suggestions PLEASE!

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've pulled the center dashboard panel and behind where the OEM brake control should be is a small plug. I'm assuming that the factory module plugs in there. Any thoughts on where to go next? Suggestions PLEASE!
That’s not where you need to be looking. You need to pull the panel below the steering wheel. You’re looking for two connectors, a 10 pin and a 4 pin. Those plug into the brake controller MODULE. The one you found behind the center bezel is for the CONTROLLER itself. If you have the 7 pin trailer connector on your bumper, and it has wires going into it, then you have those two connectors under the steering wheel.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I found a pic of what your looking for under the dash. Also a pic of the jacks they plug into.
download (3).jpeg$_57.jpeg

badpewterz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yup remove lower dash piece and look over to the right . connectors have foam on them like seen above. those go into oem controller or the 4 pin is your basic power ground signal and feed for a basic brake controller.

badpewterz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3024-P_3_1000.jpg
this jumper harness goes from oe plug to aftermarket controller if you go that route

OP
OP
Rick R

Rick R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found out that I need an OEM dashboard module. I had pulled the center dash panel(radio, climate control) and found a connector behind the blank spot where the module should be. A local dealer gave me a price of somewhere around $300 (parts and labor). My mechanic shop said they could do it, but not any less expensive than the dealer, plus they would have to subscribe to an AP to flash it. I hope this sounds like the right thing to do, since I've got an appointment to have it done tomorrow.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've found out that I need an OEM dashboard module. I had pulled the center dash panel(radio, climate control) and found a connector behind the blank spot where the module should be. A local dealer gave me a price of somewhere around $300 (parts and labor). My mechanic shop said they could do it, but not any less expensive than the dealer, plus they would have to subscribe to an AP to flash it. I hope this sounds like the right thing to do, since I've got an appointment to have it done tomorrow.
$300 sounds average to have the OEM controller installed and flashed, if that’s what you really want to have.
As far as adding an aftermarket controller, we have been trying to tell you that you’re looking for the connector in the wrong spot. The one that you found behind the center dash where the controller gets mounted IS NOT THE CONNECTOR you need. It is UNDER THE STEERING WHEEL where the controller module gets mounted.