Tranny Confusion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yoox_II

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have the three speed auto in my D150. Pretty sure the guy who had it before me messed with the rear end gearing a bit because the gears are very short and rev low... once I hit 110 km/h on the highway I am revving very high though, because there is no fourth gear.

Lately though, I have been using the "1" and "2" gears to accelerate faster. I shift them later than the auto would if I had it in drive. This is what I'm trying to figure out....
Before I started using the 1 and 2 instead of drive, what I thought was revving "high" may not he very high at all. Now that I use the 1 and 2 gears, I allow it to rev higher than what I previously thought of as "high". I installed a cheap tach a couple weeks ago and when I allow it to rev at what I now think is "high", it is around 2200 RPM. What I used to think was high was only revving at about 2000 rpm... so I'm wondering, how high can I allow it to rev while going through the gears? I don't want to risk blowing it obviously, but it would be nice to know what the limit is for the gears. The only reason I have to think that it's revving high is comparing it to what the automatic tranny shifts at, which sounds very Low. For all I know, I could be missing out on a lot more high rpm power, just because I don't know where I'm revving at in terms of the limit. I am wondering, maybe this is why I'm always one of the slowest off the line at a green light, unless I use the 1 and 2 gears and shift myself rather than the auto doing it.

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
you don't want to go over 4000rpm. my engine will only turn 3400rpm when i am doing about 140km/h but you truck is most likely geared differently so it may run a bit higher if you were to go that speed. sounds like you most likely need to adjust the kick down linkage that runs to the trans. could also be missing a return spring on the carb. it pulls the kick down linkage forward but usually gets lost when people swap carbs.