Trans failures

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
custom 5.7/6.1 hemi hybrid
yeah i think imma go ahead and get the deep pan with it just to keep it a little cooler and upgrade the trans cooler to a bigger efan unit. that price doesnt include the labor. what do you guys think about using that raptor blood tranny fluid? its on the same page as the link closer to the bottom.

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
yeah i think imma go ahead and get the deep pan with it just to keep it a little cooler and upgrade the trans cooler to a bigger efan unit. that price doesnt include the labor. what do you guys think about using that raptor blood tranny fluid? its on the same page as the link closer to the bottom.

Take a look at post #52...

Edit: Two problems I have with the deep aluminum pans. 1. If you are lowered you lose ground clearance. 2. If you hit an aluminum pan or a differential cover for that matter it will likely be broken were a steel one will just get bent up.

05 2500 HD trans cooler p/n 52029089ab

Last edited:

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Take a look at post #52...

Edit: Two problems I have with the deep aluminum pans. 1. If you are lowered you lose ground clearance. 2. If you hit an aluminum pan or a differential cover for that matter it will likely be broken were a steel one will just get bent up.

05 2500 HD trans cooler p/n 52029089ab

3rd problem: Nobody makes a filter extension so all deep pans are useless without one.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
3rd problem: Nobody makes a filter extension so all deep pans are useless without one.

just food for thought....if the Raptor Blood runs so much cooler than reg ATF..it would kind of eliminate the need to run a deeper pan, would it not, especially with a better trans oil cooler?

frostking

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
just food for thought....if the Raptor Blood runs so much cooler than reg ATF..it would kind of eliminate the need to run a deeper pan, would it not, especially with a better trans oil cooler?

I doubt the temperature would change. Even on my truck I use the stock small 2WD transmission pan with the factory light duty cooler and only have the problem of the transmission being too cold for where it should be. <160*F

Off-roading likely would place a higher demand on the cooling system.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I inquired about getting my trans beefed up for towing in my second gen. When I asked about the deeper pan the rebuilder said that in like 98 Chrysler actually went to a deeper factory pan and that it was more than sufficient. Really dont know whats in yalls though as far as size .

OP
OP
Redtruck-VA

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I use the OEM 2500HD unit and have never had a issue with trans heat even stuck in summer traffic. My thought was the engine radiator would be the weak link as horsepower was added. Apparently I've not done much to strain it. I use a 180 degree stat and Black Magic eFan with the controller set at 190 degrees. Although if I was doing a eFan again I would use either a Taurus or Viper fan only because they are in my opinion more robust and replacement motors readily available.