Trans just went?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eliwab22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I think my transmission just went out on me. It doesn’t shift out of first gear and then it starts to slip. Am I crazy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It might be a failure but I'd check to make sure that 1) you have sufficient fluid, and, 2) the shift linkage at the trans hasn't failed.

OP
OP
E

Eliwab22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
It might be a failure but I'd check to make sure that 1) you have sufficient fluid, and, 2) the shift linkage at the trans hasn't failed.

I checked the fluid on the side of the road and it was full, but it did smell burnt. The linkage I will need to check. But it didn’t feel any differently than usual.

SportRam00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 360
Could be the electronics. Here is what the FSM says:

Has FIRST/REVERSE ONLY (NO 1-2 or 2-3 UPSHIFT)

1. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault
2. Valve Body Malfunction
3. Front Servo/Kickdown Band Damaged/Burned

Fixes
1. Test using scan tool and replace
2. Repair stuck 1-2 shift valve or governor plug
3. Repair replace servo/band

My suggestion would be to start with the electronics since they seem to be a frequent problem (Governor Pressure Sensor, Governor Pressure Solenoid Valve) and they aren't expensive or hard to replace. Although, if your fluid looks or smells burned, could be scenario number 3.... There is a way to replace the front band without taking the trans out of the truck. Do a search for that thread. Some good information there.

OP
OP
E

Eliwab22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Could be the electronics. Here is what the FSM says:

Has FIRST/REVERSE ONLY (NO 1-2 or 2-3 UPSHIFT)

1. Governor Circuit Electrical Fault
2. Valve Body Malfunction
3. Front Servo/Kickdown Band Damaged/Burned

Fixes
1. Test using scan tool and replace
2. Repair stuck 1-2 shift valve or governor plug
3. Repair replace servo/band

My suggestion would be to start with the electronics since they seem to be a frequent problem (Governor Pressure Sensor, Governor Pressure Solenoid Valve) and they aren't expensive or hard to replace. Although, if your fluid looks or smells burned, could be scenario number 3.... There is a way to replace the front band without taking the trans out of the truck. Do a search for that thread. Some good information there.

I’ll hopefully be fixing it next week, parts are on the way! As a bit of a newbie to transmission work, is RTV okay for the pan gasket?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
No RTV. Some will say it's fine but valvebodies are very very very sensitive to gunk. RTV can break off inside if you pour fluid in too soon after putting it on and gets lodged in weird places. Regular rubber gaskets have no issues sealing anyways.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Amen. And Dodge-Ram specifically spec the trans pan for a gasket. The quick flush boys like to use silicone, never get a seal.