trans or torque converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aircraft mx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l gas
01 ram 2500 5.9l gas (transmission) truck feels like its pulling a trailer. if i spin the right rear tire in the dirt it frees something up, works fine until i come to a stop. truck dosnt move forward in gear unless u press the pedal. drive shaft hard to turn clockwise even when trans is in neutral but turns fine when transfer case is in neutral. so i believe its a transmission or converter issue. any one have a similar issue ?

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 Quadcab Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4x4 3.92 gears
Engine
Is it a four wheel drive? If so your 4 wheel drive maybe engaged or not disengaging. If it is staying engaged it really stress the drive train and can damage it when driving on pavement or dry roads.

OP
OP
aircraft mx

aircraft mx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l gas
Thanks for the reply. it’s not in 4. Was thinking about other issues and I’ve got more. With cruise set at say 55, a random rise in rpm will happen as if it down shifts or goes to neutral for a split second. Also it struggles to pull the boat out of the lake. Pur her in 1st and comes out no problem

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok. No 4X4 you may want to smell your transmission oil. Pull the dipstick it should well like oil, and be red in color. If it smells like burnt toast and or color is brown then that would indicating the oil is burnt, usually indicating the trans is slipping. How much rpm change are you seeing ? I think if it was the converter you would still have trouble pulling the boat out even if shifted into first.

OP
OP
aircraft mx

aircraft mx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l gas
Fluid is clean. It’s a quick rev of maybe 100 rpm. My rear tires are hard to rotate with axels out. Going to fix that brakes tomorrow and maybe, just maybe that’s the issue. It’s possible that the transmission being hard to rotat clockwise is normal and the brakes are causing the power loss

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There has been write ups in this forum about the throttle position sensor causing the lockup clutch in the converter to disengage and reengage- might be that causing the rpm jump. Write back and let us know what you find. Good luck!?

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yup, cheap sensors will cause this issue. I had it using BWD from Orileys. They don't make Mopar TPS for my 96 any more so I have to go with a good 3rd party brand. Ended up settling with Autozone's renamed TPS. Their Duralast TPS318 is actually a Wells TPS318. It seems to work good for now.

Also shuttering in 1st gear or between 1st and 2nd is caused by a clogged or failing Governor Pressure Transducer and/or sensor. They are common issues in these transmissions. My old one was just clogged but I took advantage of having them out and just replaced them anyway.

Something else that helped with my transmission woes is to make sure that the shift linkage is adjusted properly. The "dealership" that my niece bought my truck from had tampered with it to make the orange piece in the dash show up where it's supposed to. So when it was in "Park" it was actually between Park and reverse.

Now off topic about "my niece bought my truck" part. lol
Funny story, I had wrecked my 98 F150 when my niece bought this 2nd gen I have now. I warned her they don't get good MPG at all. She said she wanted it anyway. A year later she said the MPG was way too bad for her to drive it and sold it to me.

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yup, cheap sensors will cause this issue. I had it using BWD from Orileys. They don't make Mopar TPS for my 96 any more so I have to go with a good 3rd party brand. Ended up settling with Autozone's renamed TPS. Their Duralast TPS318 is actually a Wells TPS318. It seems to work good for now.

Also shuttering in 1st gear or between 1st and 2nd is caused by a clogged or failing Governor Pressure Transducer and/or sensor. They are common issues in these transmissions. My old one was just clogged but I took advantage of having them out and just replaced them anyway.

Something else that helped with my transmission woes is to make sure that the shift linkage is adjusted properly. The "dealership" that my niece bought my truck from had tampered with it to make the orange piece in the dash show up where it's supposed to. So when it was in "Park" it was actually between Park and reverse.

Now off topic about "my niece bought my truck" part. lol
Funny story, I had wrecked my 98 F150 when my niece bought this 2nd gen I have now. I warned her they don't get good MPG at all. She said she wanted it anyway. A year later she said the MPG was way too bad for her to drive it and sold it to me.

LOL-you were sure right about the MPG---LOL

OP
OP
aircraft mx

aircraft mx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l gas
Well after replacing the pinion bearing for being loud and loose and brake calipers, rotors due to complete seizure from rust. And the tps. Found that the brakes were causing it to not roll fwd in drive. But the problem real problem is the tranny at about half the time will not shift down out of third gear. Which is why it slow off the go. I’ve been manually shifting it and works great doing so.

cat199

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for letting us know what you found, are you going to do anything about the downshift problem. I've learned from this forum there were many problems with the pressure transducer in the transmission that causes shift problems. I've been deciding if I should go in and change mine along with a updated spring even though my is shifting fine now. Suppose to be a easy replacement.

OP
OP
aircraft mx

aircraft mx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l gas
Eventually I’ll dig in. Also heard some 600$ computer can cause the issue as well but I think it’s gonna be something like a shift selonoid.