Transmission help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David thom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've found on other forums that ALL 98 ram 15004x4 5.9 Magnum has the 46re transmission. And that it can be identified by the 8 pin wiring plug? I started a trans swap and the trans in my truck only has a 3 pin wiring plug.. please help me identify what I have and need??????

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Can you post pictures? Which plug are you talking about?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Yes please post a pic of the plug in question or at least a general locational description as to where on the trans it is. There's a few down there

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There are a couple connectors on the transmissions, the park/neutral safety, output shaft speed sensor, and the 8 pin trans connector.

The neutral safety switch and speed sensor are two pin connectors, though i've seen 3 pin speed sensors, its possible that an aftermarket sensor was used, but I don't know of all the compatible sensors. The 00-01 years used a 3 wire neutral safety switch i'm not sure if one of those could be used in a 98. The 95 year used a 3 wire speed sensor, don't know if it would work on a 98 though.

The 8 pin connector is on the driver side of the transmission, on the upper driver side of the trans, and its behind the throttle cable and manual lever, it can kind of hide.

Snowmanak406

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
if you are trying to discern between a 46RE and 46RH, also look under the hood at the computer, is it one large black plug? or 3 seperate plugs (think 2 white one black) into the PCM. 3 plugs is 46RH, single large plug is 46RE. unless someone did their own custom Fab on it.