Transmission issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kendall Matthews

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L magnum V8
okay everyone I have an issue my ram 1500 4X4 won’t move when put into gear I was told it was the shift solenoid anyone got advice on this please feel free to share with me thanks

jlbayes

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 & 1997
Engine
5.9l cummins
There are no shift solenoids in a 2nd gen. You need to check basics. Fluid level and line pressure.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
As mentioned before, fluid level should be the first thing you check. Engine running in neutral, it should be in the hashmarks and not black in color. Underneath just make sure the shift linkage is intact and not hanging apart/broken.

bluesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 and 1997
Engine
5.9 Cummins 5.2 318
If it is after a 96 you do have shift solenoids check to see if your transmission is a 46 re or an 46 rh if it's the E series it definitely has solenoids

Sent from my SM-J260AZ using Tapatalk

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
okay everyone I have an issue my ram 1500 4X4 won’t move when put into gear I was told it was the shift solenoid anyone got advice on this please feel free to share with me thanks
For the 1998 MY your transmission will be a 46RE coupled with the 5.9 Magnum. This transmission only has solenoids for the Torque Converter Clutch and for 4th gear.
1st-2nd-3rd are hydraulic. There arre a few things to check first.

When did this problem begin? Is this a daily driver? Was it recently serviced? Has it ever been overhauled? Is the check engine light on?

Check the fluid. Is the fluid touching the dipstick? What is the condition of the fluid? Is it still red in color or is it dark brown,black?
What does it smell like? Does it smell burnt?

If the truck will not move in a forward gear or reverse we can remove the oil pan and check for metal/contamination and we can check the band adjustment. If the bands are loose they cannot do their job. There are two bands. One in the front and one rear. The front band is usually called the kickdown band and the rear is the reverse band. The adjustment is very simple and straight forward with the pan off. The front band apply lever should be set about 1/4" away from the accumulator ball and the same for the rear. If they have never been adjusted the gap can be quite large.