Transmission lost 2nd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hello everyone!

So, it's summertime and of course it seems my Ram is eating itself alive. We noticed today while pulling our 4600 lb travel trailer, I had to Rev the engine to 3500+ rpm to get it to shift into 3rd. Everything above 2nd appears fine. We noticed that if the truck shifted down into 2nd there was no issues either. I took the truck for a quick run to show its reluctance to shift. Please help, we are leaving for vacation in 2 weeks.

Okay so I cannot post a video via Tapatalk. I'll post one shortly.
Tia!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Just a note on the behavior, I used typical throttle application.. at no time was the throttle matted or honestly much past 50%.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
A quick update for anyone who is interested...

I got the truck into a shop, they diagnosed the issue as a destroyed 2nd gear and band. They said the collateral damage prevented rebuilding the transmission.

I'm waiting on delivery of a nadp built transmission with an upgraded torque converter and upgraded input / output shafts. For $600 more than a stock build including a 3 year 100,000km warranty, it seems like the right thing to do.

Stock - 3700
Built - 4300
Race - starting at 7300ish

Thoughts?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I have a high opinion of the diesels and it feels to me you don't beat on your truck and it is not a high mileage rig, so I have to ask. What has caused this failure. I don't particularly trust shops, did they show you what was broken? Just doesn't seem right.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I can not put my finger on the root cause of the failure, I've serviced the fluid / filter at the recommended intervals. I am putting some blind faith in the shop based on reputation. I'm not really close to the shop, and this is our only vehicle.

The shop rep advised that he sees lots of stock transmission bands fail around the 180-250k km mark. From all brands. Its not just a dodge thing. (according to him)

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Just seems to be a premature failure to me. Hope you get it right for your vacation. You need a big a$$ bike to run errands with. lol
Good luck.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Lol... I gotta get a car for the wife before I buy a Bike and boat. Your right too Btw, I don't beat on my truck... if anything I baby it to death... I try to work it when I can, even when it's only towing 4600lbs.

OP
OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So I got the truck back yesterday. It would have been last week but I had to wait for a deposit. The truck shifted waaay better than it ever has. The shifts were firm and precise, and there was no hunting, even at points where it always had.

The transmission I went with is the nadp heavy hauler. I hope it will serve me well for some time.

Last edited: