Transmission Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mizzra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi I have a 1998 Dodge 2500 with the 5.9L cummins.

I am having issues with my transmission and hope somebody can tell me what the problem is. Here are all the issues.

1.When I first start the truck and go into drive it doesn't start going right away then it eventually kicks in with a thump. From then on it goes right away but usually thumps when I accelerate.

2.The transmission shakes while accelerating seems to mostly happen between 2nd and 3rd gear.

3. When I am at a stop the car will suddenly try to lunge forward with the break applied.

4. The car sometimes slips in and out of overdrive.

5. There seems to be a real lack of power when I am accelerating.

6. Shifting between gears is often rough.

Not sure what all this breaks down to but any help would be appreciated. There is no check engine light on.

Thanks.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Check the fluid level with the trans in neutral. If its low, add more ATF+4 ONLY, until its up to the right level. If that doesn't fix it, try a fluid and filter change. If that still doesn't fix it, its time for a rebuild. Also, if you don't already have one, get a trans cooler.