Transmission Question/Resolution

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I guess now that I have done what I thought was the right thing I will come back and ask the advice of my wonderful friends at RF. I know that's bass ackwards. Anyway...

My truck (with just under 84k miles) has been having a small issue for a couple of months. First thing when I start it in the morning or when leaving work in the evening it wouldn't engage reverse or drive right away. I kind of wrote it off as probably needing to change the filters. And I kept meaning to do it, but it just never got high enough on my priority list. And I have never changed them (*******!).

Then 2 days ago the truck started getting worse. Wouldn't go into reverse or drive right away any time. Would seem to slip going from 2-3. Then I got a CEL yesterday. Did the key trick and got a P0700. That appears to be a generic "something is wrong with your transmission" code. *sigh* Coming home from work yesterday evening, when I came to a stop the truck stalled. Then cranked right back up. Got on the interstate and hear a ding and see a light for "Check Gauges". I check them and the temp is all the way to H! WTF!!!! Pull over and cut the engine. Check everything looks fine. Crank it back up, temp is normal. Stayed normal all the way home.

So since I knew I needed to do it anyway, I got the fluid and filters to change them today. I did it (thanks to RubberFrog for the DIY!) and then my father in law came over with his scanner. I scanned the codes and got:

P0700 - Trans Control Sys Malfunction
P0841 - Trans Fluid Press Sensor/Switch A CKT Range/Perf
P0731 - Gear 1 Ratio Incorrect
P0871 - Trans Fluid Press Sensor/Switch A CKT Range/Perf
P0734 - Gear 4 Ratio Incorrect
P0700 - Trans Control Sys Malfunction

So anyway, after I changed the filters and added the fluid, I cleared the codes and took it for a spin. It shifted better than ever. No issues at all.

So my question, is do all of these symptoms seem like they could be the result of the filter(s) needing to be changed or have I just been able to put a bandaid on a major problem that I need to start saving for?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Those are mostly maintaince codes. You should be good to go for awhile. When the pan was dropped how much debris was in the bottom?

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
When you say debris...I think of like metal shavings or something. There wasn't anything like that. There was a silver-ish sludge-like material on the magnet, but I wouldn't say it was a lot by any means.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Thats normal just making sure it wasnt anything else in there

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Sounds like the filter was funky. Heres to another 80000 miles!

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good job man. looks like you got it sorted out. these trannys are extremely particular when it comes to fluid. you have to have the correct stuff, and have the level spot on. too much, or too little, or fluid that has lost its viscosity will make this thing do some crazy stuff.