Transmission question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Just picked up a 2015 outdoorsman 2500 cummins. It does have the 68 not the aisin. Read a lot on these transmissions. Just wanted to ask if its normal for the trans to almost slip into gear or almost rev up a little bit before it shifts. I dont really want to hear how these trans are junk or what is better. Just want to know if this is common. Bone stock with 40000 miles. It shifts firm in gear everytime and i understand these trucks are built to haul a load. Also doesnt do it while in the throttle only during light footed driving just a quik rev before shifts. Thanks for info

Attachments

• IMG_0847.jpg
    IMG_0847.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 99

2014ct

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have a 2014 CTD with the 68FRE and I also had concerns with shifting exactly the way you described the way yours shifts. I made an appointment with a Ram dealer and went for a ride with the mechanic that works on only RAM HD's. He assured me that it is a normal shift pattern. He also hooked it up to there equipment to verify that it was the correct shift points. All good and I have piece of mind for $90.00. Hope that helps

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah, normal. Mine acts that way too. The 68RFE is a good transmission but is very clunky. Like it doesn't know what gear to be in, and is always a gear to high for the speed im traveling. Does better on tow/haul mode though.
But shifting sucks, feels very lazy and throttle lag.

Test drove a 2017 3500 Dually with the Aisin and 4.10's, WOW
what a difference. Throttle was very responsive and the transmission shifts very smoothly. Trying to trade in now lol

OP
OP
jrome

jrome

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Mine did have the update done on the ecm which covers the trans update. Not sure how much difference it made. Sounds like every truck has the flare they call it because the tc unlocks before it shifts and gives it that slippy feel. I think the truck is just a tank compared to my last 2 ram 1500s just takes getting use to this locomotive!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

ramd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wouldn't worry I have the same truck and it's fine I pull my camper and trailers all over Louisiana and Texas with no problems. I do keep it serviced and I might have put a programmer on it to. a4a9d38384bfcc38432a6a66cf352a7d.jpg