Transmission, towing, and performance.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Well this morning my tranny slipped. If it does, it will do it under very light acceleration... But regardless I'm pretty bummed out.

So right now I'm looking into upgrading it a little. So far I'm just gonna drop a suncoast triple disk TC, a billet input shaft, and a BD valve body. However, in two weeks I'm gonna start hot shotting with my truck. Because I don't have a CDL, I'm not gonna be taking out 40ft goosenecks or really heavy loads. Do you think those transmission upgrades will saffice?

Also, my future upgrades are air dog 150, CP3 mod, 100Hp nozzles, BD manifold, upgraded intake manifold, and a silver bullet 66 turbo....after that I'm done with performance. Plan on taking it to the track and Dyno once finished.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Have you done your research behind hot shotting?
You need to be 21 to drive any commercial vehicle(all states) and still need a class c commercial license to comply with DOT regulations

With the cost of fuel its not nearly that easy to make money and is really hard to unless you have in

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
First off, i live in a VERY, VERY, VERY oilfield centered town. So when it comes to that, it's nothing but cash money..im not exaggerating the slightest.

Well one of my buddies has his own oil business that he started two years ago with the help of a top guy from another oil business. Within the past two years it's become a multi million dollar business. Long story short, I'm gonna be taking out bumper trailers for $650/100 miles part time and i don't have to worry about diesel. Btw, hes not much older than me, he's 24. I have my first gig in two weeks once I'm done with school.

Ill definitely look into those issues though. But I know there are plenty of people my age hot shotting around here.

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
good luck to ya man, sounds like a cool gig and i wish i had a ctd to do something like that because i love to tow and to drive.

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Thanks man. And I do too lol...

But I'm definitely gonna talk to people about this, last thing I wanna do is get myself or someone in trouble.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I was gonna say unless your in the oil field or have a couple RV dealerships around you then its tough but I left that part out lol

You still have a few hurdles though. Anytime you haul something that earns you money you need DOT numbers on your truck and a commercial license. Weight only counts for the class you'll need.

You can haul them yes, but not legally is all I'm saying. Its a huge risk.
Should you have an accident while pulling one of his loads, overweight or not, your insurance has the right to not cover it and you start looking at DOT fines which are always hefty.
Some company will hire you without that stuff because there is no risk to them.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It would probably be tough convincing a DOT officer that your just hauling some stuff for a friend with a trailer full of piping haha

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It would probably be tough convincing a DOT officer that your just hauling some stuff for a friend with a trailer full of piping haha

haha... officer, i need these pipes because our neighborhood is trying to make a huge slipe n slide down 5th avenue and we need ALOT of water to get there, thus the pipes

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
haha... officer, i need these pipes because our neighborhood is trying to make a huge slipe n slide down 5th avenue and we need ALOT of water to get there, thus the pipes

:roflsquared: *****.

But yeah those are some good points you got there lol. Its damn good mod money, but I sure as hell have to be careful!

GhostRam94

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7 HEMI
:roflsquared: *****.

But yeah those are some good points you got there lol. Its damn good mod money, but I sure as hell have to be careful!

haha idk why i was thinking of that but i was lmao, haha got to have fun sometimes:roflsquared: haha yea it can be a great job but super dangerous at times, my grandpa after he retired, started to hotshot for a year but quit because of his diabetes but he loved it and i got to go with him a couple of times and help out and i had a blast

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
$650 for 100 miles is a hell of a job
My buddy was looking into it before(he is actually a truck driver haha) and the average rate seemed to be about $1.80-$2 on a mile as an o/o so either he's really trying to help you or not much of a business man

Idk I've thought about doing it, I had my class B CDL permit but never went further. I did alot of research and crunched alot of what if numbers and it just wasnt worth it (the risks of having a CDL really pushed me away), especially while I'm in school. I'm just going to renew my permit and keep pulling our equipment till I finally get a real job haha

OP
OP
infernoredram

infernoredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Yeah that made me lol haha.

I wanna say that pay is around average around here, and I know they pay even more if you have a long bed, dually, or/and a flat bed. One of my neighbors does it full time with his 08 6.7 dually flat bed...pulls a 40ft goosenecks and takes HUGE lods. The guy makes some major bank though.

But yeah the CDL is definitely risky while in college hahaha. In certain areas of TX, people make huge money hot shotting.

Last edited:

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hot ******** that's a whole mother topic lol

Yeah when you get into a flat bed it's considered a tractor do the pay is different

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txram956