Transmisson Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FuzyNavel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
I have a 88 Dodge W150 4x4 Automatic 318 TBI My question is how can i tell what trans do i have? The reason I ask is i swear i had 4th gear or O/D Gear. I noticed that now when im doing 45 or even 60 mph and left off the gas the front end falls like someone put on the brake as if your in 3rd gear in a manual car at 4,000 RPM and just left all the gas.. I dont remember it ever doing that. Wondering if i lost my O/D gear... Trans was rebuilt 20,000 miles ago but the truck is never drove just parked in garage it took 8 years to put that many miles on it lol I been doing alot of hauling and towing lately and tryin to figure out what trans I have to be able to tell if its suppose to have a 4th gear...

One more question on the engine temp sensor Does it send signal to the computer first then relay the message to the dash? Reason I ask is because my temp gauge resistor or whatever that thing is called on the back of it went out. So i didnt know if maybe the gauge was reading cold it would make it run rich? or if signal goes to computer first before cluster

I have google searched trans idenitifcation but couldnt really find much out. This weekend im gonna power wash trans down to see if I can see any codes or anything

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Your transmission should have an ID stamped on the driver's side of the housing, just above the pan. 88 MIGHT still have the 3 speed 727 in it, or it may have the A904 (I think?).

For you temperature, that's solely a gauge issue it sounds like to me.

OP
OP
F

FuzyNavel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Thanks Alot I will check for the ID in a little bit and Ya I know the gauge is faulty I just wanted to make sure if the gauge is reading cold its not gonna make the engine run to rich Because I know when i was testing sensor I forgot to plug it back up and I ended up flooding my truck out because I guess it thought it was cold and it was warm idk it was weird... But thanks I will check

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Yah, the sensor on the engine is what counts, not the gauge, for the PCM.

OP
OP
F

FuzyNavel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Sweet Found it code is PK4431561 9518 5496

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Alright, it's throwing me. The only number that sticks out to me is 9518, but that's supposedly in the build date column. It's quite possibly a 518.

OP
OP
F

FuzyNavel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Thanks alot I was reading on how to decode it and it looks very hard and alot of people said they cant even figure build dates out.... last question 518 a 3 or 4 speed? I know we dont know for sure if thats what it is but still better than nothing

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
that's what I'm having issues with as well. lol It's very confuzzling.

The A518 is a 3 speed auto with Overdrive and a lockup torque converter. So it actually feels like a 5 speed most of the time.

And least I think they put the lock up TC in the 518...I forget. :uhoh2:

OP
OP
F

FuzyNavel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Wow thanks alot man ur awesome.... Last question (I think lol) Since i have noticed the funny acting like its missing a gear I checked fluid and it was about 1 quart low looked under noticed pan is leaking... Gonna do the filter and gasket over the weekend and new fluid. I Maybe check the band adjustments. My question is did they have a problem with loosing 4th or O/D gear? Because i swear i use to have another gear it just feels so much differnt on highway sounds like it revs higher and front dumps hard when u left off gas.. I have been hauling alot of cars on a car dolly last month maybe 5 cars? 1 year ago I towed a 96 Chevy Z71 extended cab on a full size trailer around 7 or 8,000 lbs towing on the highway.. I know very stupid of me probably and truck did not like it to much lol but only problems I had was hills on highways lol it was only like 30 min drive most straight road... Truck is strong never drinks any oil.. No sludge... No leaks.. I keep on it good because it was my grandpa truck so as soon as something happens I Fix it Im just kinda gettin worried about trans issue

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A quart low could make it act funny for sure. I'd throw a quart in it first and see if top gear comes back.

OP
OP
F

FuzyNavel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
It was actually 1 1/2 quart low fully warmed up Filled it up drivers fine now shifts fine threw all the gears... FIXED!! lol for now..... Thanks alot guys took alot of worrie off my shoulders

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
if your truck has a 518 trans i think it would have had to been swapped in since i don't think they started using overdrive transmissions in trucks till 89 and even then i think they were A500's for the first year or 2 until they came out with the heavier duty 518 trans.

OP
OP
F

FuzyNavel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
Ya I dont know This was my grandpa truck he was a 30 yr chrysler technican and he knew his Chrysler cars and trucks so maybe he got it and swapped trans or already knew what it had I have checked the vin before and it showed and came up as a 88... But its a awesome truck still has factory Alt, starter,P/S pretty much everything factory but water pump.. Heck I changed the rear tail lights couple weeks ago and they still have chysler logo on them lol Been a damn good truck i love it