Transmisssion Leaking looking for some guidance and opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bornaRAMblinMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
I had a leaking pan, it got too low, overheated and burned the fluid, and now it leaks from the bell housing. I am considering taking it out myself and getting a rebuilt transmission for $950. If I have the shop do it it's $3000.

The truck only has 120,000. It runs pretty good, there was a o2 sensor code that went away and the voltage looked good when I hooked up my elm327, so I am thinking the cat was either dirty from old gas etc or there could be a leaking head gasket.

My current plan is to test the compression, then if it's good, I can change the cat if the code comes back. Then I am going to check the frame thoroughly and proceed with the the transmission replacement if everything looks good.

I already replaced the exhaust flange bolts with new ones and used anti seize. I am not a professional by any means and if I do decide to remove the transmission myself it will be the biggest project I have done so I am trying to make sure I am doing everything right and not overlooking anything so any input is appreciated.

fastf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 1500 Quad Cab SLT Thunder road
Engine
Ok if the engine is running fine it ain't no head gasket that would dirty up a cat i can tell you from experience I had to replace a cat on my wifes car because of a misfire on one of the coil packs.It looked like someone took a bite inside of it.First I would replace the transmission and fix the other stuff afterwards or do it while you are fooling with the transmission.

OP
OP
bornaRAMblinMAN

bornaRAMblinMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
OK Good point, I just don't want to throw good money after bad so I want to be sure it has good compression before I invest the time and money in the transmission.