Truck lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stu4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OK so I just had bilsteins installed to level the truck, had all 4 shocks replaced. I now have a noticeable lean on the rear driver side, I'm not sure if it was there before the truck was leveled or not, but I do notice it now. When I measure wheel well height the fronts are even, rear drivers side is 40 inches and rear passenger is 41 inches. I know there is some lean due to gas tank being on the left, but is a full inch normal? Can this be corrected easily with a spacer on just the driver side or is that a terrible idea? New springs?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a full tank of gas? My truck leans about 1/2” to the passenger side when I measured and I had about half a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Stu4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a full tank of gas? My truck leans about 1/2” to the passenger side when I measured and I had about half a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
About 3/4 of a tank, only have the 26 gal tank as well. A full inch just seemed like a lot

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old 06 had a noticeable lean too. My Rebel doesn't, thanks to the auto level air :naughty:

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've heard that the rear coil springs are different sizes. The driver side is larger to account for gas tank/driver weight. Shouldn't have had to remove the springs to replace shocks but maybe its worth asking whoever installed it. Maybe they did for some reason and got the shocks mixed up.

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you check underneath to make sure they changed the rear shocks to the bilsteins?? I remember reading somewhere that somebody took their truck to a shop and they said they changed them and never did. The driver side is notorious for being a pain to replace too because the gas tank keeps you from getting a wrench on the nut on the back side. This is just my thinking though. Not saying you got screwed, but I'd check.

OP
OP
S

Stu4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They definitely swapped to all bilsteins, the springs don't look like they have been handled at all. It may have always been there just more noticeable now that the truck is level. Is it OK to put a spacer on just one side?

Frosty415

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They definitely swapped to all bilsteins, the springs don't look like they have been handled at all. It may have always been there just more noticeable now that the truck is level. Is it OK to put a spacer on just one side?

Hmmm. I wouldn't think a level would cause the lean in the back. I don't see why you couldn't put a spacer in but I'm no mechanic. Not sure if that could cause shocks to wear any unevenly or anything like that. If it were me I would leave it for a little while just for your shocks to settle and whatnot before making any decisions. Then go from there.

atrupo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you given it time to settle? When I levelled the front of my truck, it took a few days to settle.

OP
OP
S

Stu4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I'll give it some time and see what happens, maybe a little trip off road will encourage some settling.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be hesitant to put a spacer on one side only. Seems like that would be asking for trouble.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you check underneath to make sure they changed the rear shocks to the bilsteins?? I remember reading somewhere that somebody took their truck to a shop and they said they changed them and never did. The driver side is notorious for being a pain to replace too because the gas tank keeps you from getting a wrench on the nut on the back side. This is just my thinking though. Not saying you got screwed, but I'd check.

Yup that was me. Like an idiot i didnt check other peoples work before i left.

MrRogers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After I lifted my truck, I noticed my truck leaning on the driver side also. Don't know what to do about it either. I notice it all the time. I have no clue as what could cause it. It is very aggravating to spend so much money and have a lean.

M2everist

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK so I just had bilsteins installed to level the truck, had all 4 shocks replaced. I now have a noticeable lean on the rear driver side, I'm not sure if it was there before the truck was leveled or not, but I do notice it now. When I measure wheel well height the fronts are even, rear drivers side is 40 inches and rear passenger is 41 inches. I know there is some lean due to gas tank being on the left, but is a full inch normal? Can this be corrected easily with a spacer on just the driver side or is that a terrible idea? New springs?

Thanks!

Hi, wondering if you ever got the lean problem fixed? If so, what did you do that corrected it? I have the same issue on a 2018 RAM 1500 Sport. Thanks much

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, wondering if you ever got the lean problem fixed? If so, what did you do that corrected it? I have the same issue on a 2018 RAM 1500 Sport. Thanks much

Same issue leaning in the back ? a little lean will be normal because of the gas tank, i think mine is like a 1/4" with a full tank, so you won't even notice that, in the OP case, it seems it was 1", in which case if you have the same issue, Go to the back of your truck and check the rubber isolator is at the top of both springs, that will account for about 1/2" if the shop you used forgot to put one back. the other difference could be the coil spring is bowing more on the drive side because of the gas tank weight, and perhaps they located the spring with that bow in such a way that the truck is leaning a bit more towards that side, i don't remember them measuring differently when i took mine off, and the rear shocks won't make a difference regarding truck height, that's the coil spring job, not the shocks. Sway bar preload can also place a little lean on one side, but because you haven't lifted the rear, and the sway bar links are stock, this should not be an issue at all for you.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some times the beds can come a little crooked from the factory, my 2500 was this way, had to have the dealer loosen the bed bolts then re tighten them.